Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
j_marie46

How tough is Oldhammi ?

j-marie
14 years ago

My neighbor just planted two Oldhammi plants by our shared fence.

The area he planted is prone to high winds (clocked at up to 90mph) in rocky soil on a south facing hill. The previous neighbors had a 60 foot tree blow over in this same area.

We live in the mountain area of SB and the location also gets very hot. The neighbors has the plants on a drip system and had told his landscaper he wanted drought tolerant plants. The oldhammi is planted next to a ficus benjamina. On my side of the fence I have a stacked concrete retaining wall that is 48" high.

It appears the landscaper dug a 3 foot planting hole.

My questions are: Will it be ok in the wind? If stressed, what are the signs? Is Oldhami prone to insect infestation (they have a hibiscus planted in front of the bamboo)? Should I worry about the root mass lifting my concrete stacked wall at some point? Does the rocky soil inhibit height or spread? We are located in a high fire area, and have had to evacuate twice in 5 months due to fire in our back area - how does bamboo do in fire situations?

Thank you.

I love bamboo when it is grown well and maintained properly. My neighbors are totally clueless gardeners.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor