Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How tough is Oldhammi ?

Posted by j-marie (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 19, 09 at 0:37

My neighbor just planted two Oldhammi plants by our shared fence.

The area he planted is prone to high winds (clocked at up to 90mph) in rocky soil on a south facing hill. The previous neighbors had a 60 foot tree blow over in this same area.

We live in the mountain area of SB and the location also gets very hot. The neighbors has the plants on a drip system and had told his landscaper he wanted drought tolerant plants. The oldhammi is planted next to a ficus benjamina. On my side of the fence I have a stacked concrete retaining wall that is 48" high.

It appears the landscaper dug a 3 foot planting hole.

My questions are: Will it be ok in the wind? If stressed, what are the signs? Is Oldhami prone to insect infestation (they have a hibiscus planted in front of the bamboo)? Should I worry about the root mass lifting my concrete stacked wall at some point? Does the rocky soil inhibit height or spread? We are located in a high fire area, and have had to evacuate twice in 5 months due to fire in our back area - how does bamboo do in fire situations?

Thank you.

I love bamboo when it is grown well and maintained properly. My neighbors are totally clueless gardeners.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How tough is Oldhammi ?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 19, 09 at 13:54

Oldhamii is tough, but those are extreme conditions, and it's hard to say how it will do. If it's stressed it's going to start losing leaves. It will not lift your wall like a tree root, but, since this is a stacked, not mortared, wall it may infiltrate the joints over time and cause some displacement. In a fire the above-ground growth will burn up, and the plant may die depending on how severe the fire is and what happens to the root structure.

Interesting situation...feel free to provide a status report in the future.

o

It is some pretty tough stuff. I'm not but about 25 miles from the gulf and it lost some leaves and only 1 culum when we were hit by hurricane Rita. The shead it was near lost the roof and the house lost a whole room.

o

This stuff was originally brought into the S. California coast line. It handles big on-shore and off-shore winds without a problem. Rgds

o

Yeah, the stuff is tough. I live in a typical residential neighborhood, but during hurricane Ike about a third of the 3 -4" culms were shattered at about 6 ft. It is somewhat defoliated at 28F - 30F.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here