Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Bamboo

Posted by matt-walker 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 1:35

I picked up this plant at a local flea mkt. Seller said it is a ground cover bamboo. It was root bound in one small pot I divided and re-potted into four generous pots a few weeks ago and it seems to be doing fine. Just wondering if any of you know it it's bamboo and what the variety might be.
Thanks .. Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Bamboo

It looks like Sasaella masamuneana 'Albostriata'.

Depending on the definition of ground cover, it can get 6 feet in height. Here it grows to about 2 feet in height.

Kt

o

Thanks kentuck,
The seller said his gets about 12" tall. He is growing it in my area (North East corner TN). Quick research indicates we'll be pushing the envelope by one zone. I may need to rethink where I had planed to put it. Seems it needs constant moisture.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 12:36

matt-
That's a nice bamboo, but just be aware that some of the smaller ones like that are some of the more vigorous runners. Plant it in an area where it is easy to dig out the excess if its roots start traveling to areas it shouldn't. Fortunately, with these smaller bamboos the roots are pretty small and easy to sever, so it shouldn't be too difficult to keep in check. I keep mine in a very large saucer-like pot (about 2' wide) and it is evergreen in my Zone 8 area. In your area, it will probably drop foliage. That bamboo is hardy to about 0 degrees F; and maybe 5-10 degrees F in a pot. However, you could consider growing it in a large pot so it can be brought in for the winter and will keep its leaves. If you use a pot, don't put it in something where the top opening is smaller than the maximum diameter of the pot: when it gets root bound again, you'll never get it out. Vase-shaped pots are always best with any bamboo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here