Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
::::Whats the best time to divide a single rhizome?::::

Posted by murdamobamboo (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 2:43

first things first, from miami, so anything and everything grows here...

some my buddy has alot of bamboo at his house. kinda dark green, really tall....

has some yellow ones as well.

all clumper, no runners.

i dug up a rhizome from the yellow one...
give or take, about this size

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2822133385_6b5076ba4a_m.jpg

didnt have color to it yet....

now, where i think i had a problem, was that it didnt have roots yet.

i divided it from the mother plant, nice clean cut, as close to the mother as possible.

but im still nervous that i cut it to early....

i grabbed a pot full of the dirty around the shoot, and soaked it within 10 min. its been raining in miami lately too....

did i cut to early?

whats the best time to divide a single rhizome?

should i let mother nature do her job?

should i divide a rhizome when roots have developed?

thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ::::Whats the best time to divide a single rhizome?::::

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 13:39

Rhizome is root mass below the surface. What you did was to cut a shoot that was just starting and will now die. In order to get a viable start of a clumping bamboo, you will have to get a decent size chunk of rhizome and, preferably, at least one fully developed culm. Unfortunately, clumpers have dense, woody rhizome systems. The last time I divided one, it took 1/2 hour with me pounding on the foot rest of a sharp, steel spade with a sledge to force it through the roots like a chisel. Some clumpers are less difficult...but you get the idea. You're not just going to be able to take a small piece and call it good. Unless you can get viable root mass, you're not going to get anywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here