Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly12_gw

Just potted a new plant.... did I do it right?

holly12
10 years ago

Hi there!!

After trying bamboo out in water with rocks and always having them die, I decided to try with soil. I have a few questions, so I will tell you my methods and maybe you can let me know if I did everything right?

I used a clear pot (the type that my old Orchid came in, that is kind of like a bag, but more solid like a pot) and it has a hole for drainage at the bottom.

I mixed up some Pearlite, Peat/Sphagnum Moss mix and some Miracle Grow potting soil. I planted my 5 stalks in that and then covered the top with a bit of gravel to help stabilize the plant. Is that right? (The mix that I made up.) I then put the clear pot into a ceramic pot that is nicer looking.

Before doing that though, I watered the plant thoroughly. The water was running out the hole in the bottom of the pot, and is still actually dripping into the ceramic pot... did I water it too much, or is it ok and I will just wait before watering it again?

Before planting the bamboo in soil, I cut off some shoots (at the level of the top of the stalk,) peeled off the lower leaves, and placed the shoots in water to root. I then cut off the stalk just below where I trimmed the shoot off. I sealed the stalk with wax so it wouldn't rot too. After this proceedure, I planted the stalks. I'm now waiting for the shoots in the water to root. Is this right for propogation? The shoots aren't HUGE, but they aren't tiny either.

Thanks so much for reading, and for any advice!

Comments (9)

Sponsored