Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thuja_gw

Dendrocalamus strictus seedling shoots

Thuja
18 years ago

Maybe a mistake but I planted out a couple D. strictus seedlings in the ground early this summer and, now that I need to think about digging them up for winter, I see that one has 2 new shoots almost one-inch in diameter.

{{gwi:422533}}
{{gwi:422534}}
The shoots are now already about 2 feet tall after just a week.

{{gwi:422535}}
I guess the best I can do now is wait as long as possible and just before a freeze dig them up as carefully as possible. What do you think?

Comments (18)

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

Its either dig it up or move the equator closer to your home. Or maybe I'm in the twilight zone and the more north I go the warmer it gets. Well, at least you know your wisconsin summers aren't holding it back.

• kstanwick
    18 years ago

Mike...I see a potential whiskey barrel candidate...Nice looking shoots

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

How old are they Mike? Great pics..

Koniferkid

• Thuja
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The seedlings are almost a year and a half old. I was pretty amazed to see shoots this size already. This must be an awesome grower in the tropics.
    {{gwi:422536}}
    D. strictus seeds

lkz5ia, my mind must be in the SH thinking north is warmer. :)
    Kurt, yep, I think whiskey barrels should hold them for a while.

• Scott Wallace
    18 years ago

Wow...what are you feeding them!?!?!

Mine are about half that size, but are putting up some pretty nice sized shoots right now. Plus mine are all in pots too...

• Thuja
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am feeding them la*wn food & lots of TLC I guess, but mostly water, sun, com*post, mu*lch, luck, & the occasional extra CO2 given while I stand around wee*ding, watering, and taking pictures. ;)

• mtnbamboogirl
    18 years ago

yicks...as thet can grow to 60' id say not a good one for pots...or outside in wis...id try trade them to some one in florida...as a 30 degree plant they will die in a ny city second sad to say...good looking boo to..how did you pick this bamboo or did someone bs you?
    chele
    list owner of ecbg

Here is a link that might be useful: east coast bamboo group

• Scott Wallace
    18 years ago

Cool. I gave mine a nice dose of Mir*acle Grow about a month ago and the improvement has been phenominal!

As for mine being in pots...I have several hundred, and not all will be going into the ground!

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

I have Dendrocalamus seedlings growing too.Hope they show the vigour yours are.I don't think anyone should be put off by growing boo not suitable to your area. Try and push the limits. You never know till you try-also, they make great conservatory plants or greenhouse plants. Also, it helps to have high catherderal ceilings that are 20 feet......

• kstanwick
    18 years ago

Pat i definitely agree. Trying to grow something a bit outside of its zone is worth it. Especially for us northerners that don't have the luxury of a better geographical location. I marvel at Brad's knowledge and experience. Mike's and Cady's as well. and Yes, there are others in here that try and grow "out of the box", too many people to mention. You have to applaud the efforts.

Kurt

• Thuja
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Really the only reason I chose this species is that seed was available and I wanted to grow some bamboo from seed. Trading is one idea and maybe it also will work as a houseplant.

Anyway, I'm planning to add on a 100' cathedral ceiling next year. ;) (I have a 20' ceiling right now.) It's funny, I never considered leaving a Dendrocalamus outside in the winter, but now you have me thinking to try next year when I can take divisions. I'm willing to bet it will mean certain death, but it's just crazy enough that I imagine no one has ever tried it.

Thanks for the support! It's good to know I'm not the only nut out there. ;)

• kstanwick
    18 years ago

when i get that mega Millions jackpot, its on my list to "dome" my y*ard..lol. Mike with a 20ft ceiling, your lucky at least you have an opportunity to leave some height when you do bring some of your boo inside. I on the other hand will have to cut anything i want to bring in to 7 ft(I have none this year..lol...oh well). It's a bit sad but its the only choice i have. You have all of my support....you are in the hardiest zone i know and your stuff looks better than mine lol...but my Moso is looking better since i barreled it...BTW, i noticed you are killing those word advertisments with the Star....I have been having problems with the threads loading. It appears that IE is aborting. Did you have the same problem? and did the star fix it?

Kurt

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

Kurt, If you hit the Mega millions, remember your fellow jerseyboo people too...Likewise if I hit you'll have a bamboo house in Hawaii.....LOL

• Thuja
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kurt, the * doesn't help much except to make my message look more like a typo than an ad. ;) I've had some goofy things happening lately too. Apparently you can try using different browsers and eliminate some of the problems but I haven't tried it.

Webgator, I bet with all your seedlings you'll wind up with some beauties. For me, a fair percentage of my seedlings seemed to be just plain weak and died.

• Scott Wallace
    18 years ago

Yeah, we had the same thing with both those and the Moso, however, we had more losses with the Moso than the Strictus.

• bamboobob
    18 years ago

Saw a huge D Strictus at an arboretum on the road to Hana, Maui, Hawaii last month. Two new shoots must have been 20' tall. I don't have a good eye for heights but the main plant was many times the 20' of the shoots.

Yours looks really good. I like the whisky barrel idea. It would be great to max its potential with as much area as possible.

• Thuja
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The new shoots have grown another 3 feet since last week (about 5" day) and now I see another shoot is started. Kurt, I need your backyard dome asap. This should be fun to dig & pot up.

• kstanwick
    18 years ago

I think i can steal the one that the NY Giants use for their practices...lol know one will notice...

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals