Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do bamboo plants do when they meet?

Posted by vintagevixen Zone 10 FL (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 9, 09 at 11:25

Hi, I know that subject line sounds like the lead-in to a joke, but...

In all seriousness I need to know what two separate plants will do when their rhizomes reach out and touch each other. :)

I am in need of a plant that will create a very dense hedge (not a total screen necessarily, just something that cannot be walked/wiggled through).

I've been to our local bamboo farm and I prefer the look of the common bamboo (vulgaris). I'd like to plant them close together in a line about 30 feet long, and watch them expand diameters over the years. How close is okay without weakening the plants?

The bamboo farmer says they'll fight once their rhizomes meet. I guess that means we'll always have a plant, then some space, then the next plant down the line, etc. True or not? This will be a major factor in our choice.

BTW Their 7-year-old plantings on display at the farm are about 10 feet in diameter, beautiful but I don't know that I can wait a decade or more to fill in the line we want with plants spaced 10 feet apart. The planned line of bamboo is in lieu of a fence on one side of our property.

Also, we have no worries about neighbors or space issues. We'd welcome the bamboo to spread out as wide as it likes (we're on 1.5 acres bordered by street on all sides). The crucial thing is that we want the rhizomes to grow side by side, with no plant-gap-plant-gap-plant at all, over time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do bamboo plants do when they meet?

Just a thought, but you may want to plant them in a zig-zag formation. That way when the plants meet, each plant can grow away from it's two closest competitors, and thus giving you a more sold screen without the plants competing too much with each other.

Kt

o

Hey Kt,

Thanks for your email! I was thinking I'd go for the zig-zag technique too. That would give the bamboo "elbow room" while filling in gaps a bit. I just don't want them to stop growing at some juncture when the rhizomes get close and "fight".

o

Here in Phoenix, there are a number of Bambusa oldhamii hedges, and they are just planted in a straight line. Hedges up to 30 years old don't seem to suffer at all--although getting the old, dead culms out requires a contortionist! ;-*

o

If you get a running bamboo, you won't have to buy very many. I put in a running bamboo withn 5 plants, and in three years it was a solid hedge 100 feet long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here