Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container/species design for visual density

Posted by kensabode 9 San Francisco East (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 27, 08 at 11:29

I'm planning a container bamboo visual screen on the side of my long wide concrete driveway against a low concrete block wall. The allocated space is roughly four feet wide, maybe 20 feet long. Need only 10 feet tall but it's totally open to sky and to wind from both sides (maybe a good thing or interesting sounds at least). I've browsed other messages but didn't find all the answers.

What would be your recommendations for a total design:

1. Container size. I want to keep it small, but heard that roughly 24"x24" by 18" deep (net volume for soil) is the least needed. I could anchor the bottoms to prevent toppling.

2. Container walls. Will the rhizomes slowly puncture a solid redwood box made of 2x6 walls (mortised, pinned and stacked like a log home)? Must I use 4x4's?

3. Container spacing for visual density. If 24"x24" each, would a linear row be sufficient once established? Or should they be 24"x36" each, then staggered in a double row? I can make as many containers as needed.

4. Species? I know very little about Phyllostachys.

5. Irrigation? I'm piping in a dedicated circuit. Tree ring soaker hose in each container for weekly 15 minutes at high pressure okay? Or what's ideal?

6. Other considerations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container/species design for visual density

I would recommend planting a clumper instead of a runner. A clumper will not need to be re-potted as often, and will grow more dense in a pot giving you a more solid screen.

I would look into some of the Bambusas, probably one of the multiplexes which will give you a very dense screen.

The planter size sounds OK and made of 2X6's should suffice.

A large plastic garden pot will also do fine, and will make it easier when it comes time to re-pot in a few years.

Good Luck

Kt

o
RE: Container/species design for visual density

I agree with Kt, a clumper would do well. Being in SF I would go with one of the Himalayan clumpers like Himalayacalamus, Borinda, Fargesia robusta(a couple others, not all), Thamnocalamus(the nice ones).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here