Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated Buddha Belly

Posted by silversword 9A (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 8, 09 at 12:53

Hi! My husband came home with six Variegated Buddha's Belly Bambusa ventricosa... for $60 total!!! We have a 50' planter with a white fence that I'd like to put them in front of with plenty of sunlight and lots of room. Some are much bigger than others (two are single stalks). I know they are clumpers and grow slow but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what to plant in front of them, what will complement them. Also, would you plant them as a background plant, or should we make them a little more front-and-center?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated Buddha Belly

Here in zone 8b, my variegated Buddha Belly has grown to 40+ feet in height with culms around 2+ inches thick. They need room to grow.

I don't think you will find much of a taller plant to put behind them, and the tops lean outward a bit, so I wouldn't plant anything very close to the base of the plant unless it likes shade.

Kt

o

Really? I had no idea they got that big. How long did it take for them to get that tall? I guess I was under the impression that they were more a small accent piece than a large one. I don't know why.

I wouldn't mind them providing shade, here in sunny San Diego we can use shade!!!

o

My plant has been in the ground about 6 years, but it reached that height in it's 4th year.

It has gotten no taller since, but in your area, which is a bit warmer, it may get as much as 15 feet taller...that is, if you have the true Bambusa ventricosa kimmei aka variegated buddha belly.

There is a possibility that what you have may be mis-identified and is actually Bambusa vulgaris 'Wamin Striata' which will only grow to about 15 feet in height.

Do you know where the original plant is? Can you post close-up pics of your plants?

Kt

o

hmmmm... it is possible. I can take some pics tonight. Thanks for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here