Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackwillow87

Can someone help me ID this bamboo

blackwillow87
12 years ago

Hi I was wondering if anyone could ID this bamboo plant? I've had it for nearly a year. It has hair-like structures on the canes. Thanks

{{gwi:422849}}

Comments (8)

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

Can you give more info on the plant?

Where it came from or what the 'mother' plant looked like...how tall and size of culms.

Kt

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

Unfortunately for you, there are about 1200 species of bamboo, and many of them look exactly like yours in the juvenile stage. The hair-like structures help narrow things down a little, but not enough. It's probably some species of Phyllostachys. As your bamboo gets older, it may be easier for us to see some more distinctive characteristics that are specific to a particular species. As kentuck points out above, providing any more info may help out. If we can't ID it now, maybe you can check back in a couple of years...

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I remember the mother plants having thin culms and being several feet high. They had a weeping look to them, and the leaves looked delicate. That probably doesn't help much. I wish I could have taken a picture of the grove. I went online and the mother plant looked similar to Moso but the culms were much thinner

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

Most bamboo have a mature height taller than several feet, so the mother plant may not have been mature. On the other hand, it could be one of the relatively fewer species that are short. What color were the culms of the mother plant, and was it planted in full sun, or shade, or what?

While moso do have the hairy characteristic you describe, juvenile moso typically have large leaves...much larger than are shown in your photo

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The culms where a light green color. I think they were in a partially sunny area, because they were next to large trees.

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

Once it shoots next year, looking at the shoots may narrow down what your bamboo may be. If you remember the appearance of the mother grove, here are some of my bamboos for reference so if you can make a definite ID with any of mine, that could be it, but chances are you will need to let it get a little bigger and get a good view of a new rising shoot.

Here is a link that might be useful: some of my bamboos

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Steve. I guess I'll have to remember to take photos of the new shoots next year. I looked through some photos online and I saw pictures of smaller size golden bamboo and one plant looked very similar to mine. I wonder if that is a possibility

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have some pictures of the new shoots that I found this morning. I don't know if these pictures will help

{{gwi:422851}}
    {{gwi:422853}}

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz