Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojowtm6

Raised planter for bamboo

mojowtm6
15 years ago

New to the boards, so I'll jump right in.

I've got a good size yard that would be perfect for a nice bamboo stand. I like the fast growing, vigorous qualities of the Phyllostachys and I understand that they flourish here in the Southeast US. The plan is to keep growth under control by planting in a raised (~8") bed and rhizome prune around the border. I'll have a trench around the border, 16 inches deep seems to be the consensus, filled with bark or mulch to make getting a spade to the rhizomes much easier. The raised planter will be approx. 5 ft wide and run the length of the yard along the sides and back.

On to the questions:

1. Is a 5-foot width enough for the bamboo to really grow and spread into a tall, thick screen? I'll probably try to keep 8-12 inches between culms along the length, and 4-6 inches along the width of the planter. I could probably stretch it to 6-feet in width, but then the dogs will have less yard for play.

2. With an 8" rise above the yard, would a 12" deep trench around the perimeter be sufficient? Is 8" too much of a rise?

3. Looking into various stone borders, although it sounds like the rhizomes will hav a good ol' time shoving them stones around. Am I better off just building up a big mound?

4. Any run-ins with the homeowners association that I should be wary of?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Mo

Comment (1)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone