Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised planter for bamboo

Posted by mojowtm6 GA 7A-7B (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 14:02

New to the boards, so I'll jump right in.

I've got a good size yard that would be perfect for a nice bamboo stand. I like the fast growing, vigorous qualities of the Phyllostachys and I understand that they flourish here in the Southeast US. The plan is to keep growth under control by planting in a raised (~8") bed and rhizome prune around the border. I'll have a trench around the border, 16 inches deep seems to be the consensus, filled with bark or mulch to make getting a spade to the rhizomes much easier. The raised planter will be approx. 5 ft wide and run the length of the yard along the sides and back.

On to the questions:

1. Is a 5-foot width enough for the bamboo to really grow and spread into a tall, thick screen? I'll probably try to keep 8-12 inches between culms along the length, and 4-6 inches along the width of the planter. I could probably stretch it to 6-feet in width, but then the dogs will have less yard for play.

2. With an 8" rise above the yard, would a 12" deep trench around the perimeter be sufficient? Is 8" too much of a rise?

3. Looking into various stone borders, although it sounds like the rhizomes will hav a good ol' time shoving them stones around. Am I better off just building up a big mound?

4. Any run-ins with the homeowners association that I should be wary of?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised planter for bamboo

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 19:37

Sounds like a basically good plan. A few comments:

1. 5' should be wide enough.
2. I often plant in a mound; it seems to keep rhizomes closer to the surface. 8" is plenty high for the mound and a 12" deep trench should also be fine. You could also consider filling the trench with sand as that's easy to get a spade through and it provides a firmer walking surface than bark/mulch. I grow dozens of different runners, and I've never had a rhizome go deeper than 12". If you have one that does go deeper, it will be rare, and you can simply remove it when it makes its presence known rather than go to all the work of trenching even deeper.
3. Stones make an attractive border. A rhizome is not likely to move a stone much, but it will likely cause a rhizome to deflect; in some cases, that might make it dive deeper than usual. I have a stone border around some of my beds and I occasionally have to pull a stone out to get at a rhizome. If you like the look of stone, there's no reason not to use it.
4. As for homeowners associations, they all seem to be different (although most are annoying). If you can get a look at the bylaws, do it. It's better than specifically asking about planting bamboo as that may arouse their interest, or strike fear into their shriveled, little hearts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here