Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_walker_gw

New Phyllostachys Nigra Question/Crisis

matt-walker
15 years ago

Hello All, I received 3 Black Bamboo plants Thursday from e-bay seller timbo4167. I was very pleased with with them. Nice looking plants, good green color, healthy looking, bigger than advertised, large root system with still damp dirt intact. In fact my plan was to pot them up and baby them for a year or so but two were bigger than any pot I had. So two were planted directly in big holes with plenty of good potting soil and one into the largest pot I had. I watered them good. It was a cloudy day. We had rain Friday and Saturday. I'm thinking this is all working out great. But when I checked the plants today (Sunday) There is a lot of color loss and some curling in the leaves. Basically I would call them wilted. Here are links to the photos.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2688/blackbam92808sz5.jpg

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/2255/blackbamboo9jw0.jpg

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/5932/bbamboo92808yi8.jpg

Sorry I haven't figured out how to post directly here yet.

So after all that my question is: Is this normal when transplanting bamboo or have I made a blunder? I really believe I received the plants in as good a condition as possible and in no way are criticizing the seller. But I would hate to loose these on my second try at getting black bamboo started. Your help is much appreciated.

Matt

Comments (16)

• hello_c_j_here
    15 years ago

Hi Matt, so these plants arrived looking better than they are looking now? If so... I dont think its anything you have done...unless you somehow cut into the roots during transplant.

My opinion is this... this seller may have taken the division from his mother plants once the auction closed and plants were paid for...

Did he claim these were well established divisions already?

If he divided them and shipped same day they could have arrived looking much better than you are seeing now.
    Just my 2 cents. If you didnt damage roots during your transplanting...I dont see any reason that they wouldnt have remained as healthy looking as when you received them.
    Blessings,

• matt-walker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"this seller may have taken the division from his mother plants once the auction closed and plants were paid for." Yes that is what he said in the auction that would happen. Is what I am seeing normal then? Is there anything I can do to halt the wilting? Can they be saved or is buying new divisions a big mistake?
    I'm new to bamboo, Thanks for your help.
    Matt

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

I agree with what CJ said, and I don't like the idea of dividing and selling immediately.

Also, sometimes during transplanting, the soil is loosened from the roots/rhizomes which can cause some stress and thus wilting.

All you can do now is make sure the soil is tight around the roots and keep watered very well for the next few days. Even if the leaves die off, the culms should be OK and new leaves should grow in a week or two.

I get transplants that look that way sometimes, but the plants always recover if enough roots are still intact with the plant.

Good Luck

Kt

• matt-walker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks kt,
    I'll keep them wet and hope for the best. Would some Miracle Grow be wise at this point?
    Matt

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

Maybe a weak solution of Miracle-Grow or maybe some type rooting hormone, but I personally don't like to use any fertilizer until the plant looks well established.

Some people recommend fish fertilizer and I have heard that Superthrive will bring back some really unhealthy plants. I've used it with good results.

Kt

• subtropix
    15 years ago

I wouldn'd worry about them. They will resprout even from total defoliation--eventually. I agree about not fertilizing, especially as winter approaches.

• matt-walker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks All,
    Your fast replies are appreciated. I'll let you know what happens.
    Matt

• silversword
    15 years ago

njoasis 7 "I agree about not fertilizing, especially as winter approaches."

Why is that?

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

13-13-13 is a great all around fertilizer.

N-P-K

N - Nitrogen
    P - Phosphorus
    K - Potassium

Nitrogen helps plant foliage to grow strong.
    Phosphorous helps roots and flowers grow and develop. Potassium (Potash) is important for overall plant health.

A high nitrogen fertilizer at this time of the year will produce top growth and leave the plant short on stored energy in it's roots/rhizomes.

If you do fertilize at this time of the year, use a high phosphorous fertilizer which helps the roots prepare for the Winter and allows for energy to be stored in the roots which is good for next years first growth in the early Spring.

I don't like to use fertilizer on newly dug and transplanted plants since the roots may be severely damaged and fertilizer can burn the roots, so waiting until the roots grow and get more established or 'heal' then you can fertilize without damage to the overall plant's health.

Kt

• raiz
    15 years ago

This is tough... they don't look underwatered or overwatered. I'm going along with everyone else and saying the roots may not have been established or have been damaged.

• silversword
    15 years ago

Hi,
    We use vitamin B-1 and fish emulsion. I can't load the pics, so I don't know what they look like. Best wishes!

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

Here they are:
    {{gwi:422970}}
    {{gwi:422975}}
    {{gwi:422981}}

• Keiji
    15 years ago

How is coming out now...?
    Phyllostachys Nigra...saw your picture - look very young.

• matt-walker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Keiji, The plants turned all light brown a few days after the photos were taken and have stayed that way all winter. I'm hoping to see some shoots this spring. I have added lots more mulch to keep the roots somewhat insulated. Wonder when I should see shoots in zone 6. I was also thinking of pulling the extra mulch back some soon. The potted one I have kept in my small unheated HFGH so I'm thinking with a little less exposure it has the best chance.
    Matt

• Keiji
    15 years ago

It hard to say...usually new transplant plant...might not have new shoot till next 2 season...
    If it did = let me know how it look like?

1st year is sleeping, 2nd year is creeping...3rd year is leaping.

After reading the note from where you got them...If it true the Seller cut off from the mother plant the day ship it out. Not good.

It hard to tell from the pictures...Plant do look very young.
    Main concern is how old the rhizome ...not the plant!

Hope it survive...not knowing the age of the rhizome.

Next time buy direct the Bamboo Nursery...There are several Bamboo Nursery in North Carolina
    Keiji

• User
    15 years ago

In your original post you stated that you planted two of the Nigras in the ground using potting soil
    You don't use potting soil for the ground.
    You use top soil ONLY if there is something wrong with the native soil.
    Potting soil is an organic medium specifically designed to be used in pots, not for use in the ground.
    You have to get them out of that potting soil if that is what it was.
    You also planted Nigra bamboo in zone 6.
    Did you mulch at least 4 inches?
    Nigra is not hardy to zone 6. It will never really grow well in your zone. It will stay small and have alot of die back.
    Nigra is not a pot bamboo.
    They hate pots, especially little tiny pots.
    DOn't put Miracle grow on bamboo.
    Bamboo is a grass. Scotts turf builder or grass food is what you feed them.
    They also love grass clippings.
    I wish you luck with your nigra bamboo.