Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Single stalk bamboo, is there such a creature?

Posted by pyratejim 6b (michonjd@earthlink.net) on
Tue, Sep 12, 06 at 14:51

Is there such a thing as a single or even a few stalk bamboo? Living in a suburb and able to do a 2' deep, plastic root barrier, I would like to plant something on my front lawn, that will get to about 18+' in heigth and something that can be contained in about a 5' diameter area with the buried plastic.

I'm in zone 6b in s/e Michigan. I've researched and posted and called various nursery's, yet I still have this overwhelmed feeling.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Single stalk bamboo, is there such a creature?

No such things as a single stalk bamboo (think in terms of grass). HOWEVER...you can keep them in your 5' contained area and cut down all but a couple prized stalks. Just a thougtht.

o

Each culm grows to it's mature size in usually 90 days or less, and live up to nine years each. I would let three culms in each pot, and every year or so, let one new culm reach maturity and cut down one of the older less attractive culms.

Kt

o

You can grow a running bamboo culm as a "living stick". To do this, transplant the size of bamboo culm that you want in your landscaping. Then after it has had 6 months to get established, make two careful cuts with the shovel to sever the rhizome from the base of the culm (or if you know what to look for, at the time of tranplant you can carefully dig into the root ball of the transplant and sever the culm neck from the rhizome or remove all viable buds from the segment of rhizome in the rootball). From this point on this culm will be unable to produce new rhizome or shoots and will survive for the 8 to 15 years that a bamboo culm normally survives. At the end of this time you will need to replace it with another "living stick" transplant. It takes a bit of work, but this is one way to grow a totally non-invasive bamboo.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 16, 06 at 21:55

I visited a Canadian wholesale nurseryman once who had imported black bamboo from Japan(!), gotten burned double by not only being sent single node divisions like those described above--but with the culms cut off just above the rhizome as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here