Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_in_toronto

fargesia is too droopy

mary-in-toronto
14 years ago

My faragesia 'green screen' is now about 3 1/2 - 4 feet tall, however, the culms all droop.I have thinned out the plant, hoping to thicken the culms. Is it possible to stake or tie up bamboo? If so, what should I use? I chose 'green screen' because it was said to be more upright than other clumpers. The plant is otherwise healthy. I live in zone 6a.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

mary-
    First of all, do you know what species of Fargesia you have? There are quite a few, some with a weeping habit, some upright. Sometimes Fargesia robusta is called "green screen," but common names like that are used indiscriminately by some sellers. Second, if you have F. robusta, it is very upright...when it is mature, but you have a small, "juvenile" plant and that droopiness is common with many species of bamboo when they are young. Third, quit thinning the growth. Bamboo do not benefit from pruning like trees or shrubs. A bamboo culm emerges from the ground at its final diameter and reaches its permanent height in the first growing season. You will not encourage any kind of further growth or bushiness by pruning, and what you prune out is gone for good. You are basically eliminating leaves that would otherwise contribute to growth of the plant and production of larger culms in the next season.

• mary-in-toronto
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your insight. I have Fargesia robusta "green screen".

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

mary-
    You're welcome. I have a robusta that is about 12'-15' tall; it is very straight and upright. Robusta is a beautiful plant when mature, and you've made a good choice...you'll just have to be patient. It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with it that time won't take care of.

• robert.p
    14 years ago

Mary - I planted "Green Screen" that I bought from a very reputable grower in the Portland, Oregon area. I planted 6 of the five gallon size last year. We had a very snowy Winter for this area and they all survived fine but I am sure it took a little out of the plants. I feed and water them regularly and mine look a little "droopy" also. They are filling out wide but not tall and they look very healthy. The new growth is upright so I think a couple of years and a little maturity will provide the rewards of this nice bamboo.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Arching of older stems as they become laden by leaves is much of the appeal of species in this genus.

Thinning the planting out would just make it more floppy, if flopping is what the planting has been doing.

"Green Screen is the trademark name for a single specimen of Fargesia robusta (type 'Pingwu') that was selected originally by Jan Oprins of Bamboo Select in Belgium"

Here is a link that might be useful: Fargesia robusta Green Screen TM

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Many fargesia do have a weeping habit, but mature F. robusta is very upright.

Sponsored