Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo for export

Posted by kente12 none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 22, 11 at 16:01

I live in NYC but my father growns bamboo in my native Ghana West Africa. I am personally in a different line of work(Network Engineering). Business has been good for my Dad so I suggest he look to exporting. I have a couple of question that hopefully someone here can help me.

1)Can you export Bamboo to the USA?
2)Are there any Laws regarding the export to the USA
3)What kind of Bamboo are mainly exported to the US
4)Where can I find wholesale buyers.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo for export

kente-
Unfortunately, it would be very difficult for your father to import bamboo into the U.S. due to some antiquated Federal laws (dating back to 1918). Basically, if you want to bring bamboo into the U.S. it has to come in under a special permit and immediately be placed in a "Quarantined Warehouse" for a year at your expense. If it is still alive and healthy after that time, you can take possession of it. In addition, it looks like you can't generally import in large quantities for commercial sale. Here is more info:

Here is a link that might be useful: U. S. Bamboo Quarantine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here