Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
P.nuda in michigan

Posted by randytootall MICHIGAN ZONE 5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 07 at 16:36

Is anyone growing Phyllostachys nuda in zone 5? how tall does it get and how thick are the culms.do you know of any bamboo sources near michigan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: P.nuda in michigan

though I cannot say I've bought anything from them, there is....

Here is a link that might be useful: Mi bamboo company

o

I have a Ph. Nuda from Bamboo Headquarters doing quite well here during its first season in the ground. Sending up a couple new culms approx the diameter of the existing culms it came with. Will mulch well for winter. My F. murielae all did well over rough last winter. Ph. Nuda has same coldhardy rating (-20F) so I am confident the nuda will do fine.

o

I have had better results with bissetti. Thick grove with culms ~12' high. On an older planting, only moderate leaf burn last winter.

I am also very happy with my 2 year planting of atrovaginata. It doesn't put up as many culms, but they are larger than similar age bissetti and I find the overall shape to be more attractive.

o

From my experience Nuda is slower to establish in are Climate and is over rated on its cold hardiness but I have seen it grow to 23 in metro Detroit. The bamboo that I have measured the tallest here is Phyllostachys aureosulcata at 28 feet and seems to be hardier. As stated in the above post bissetti also works great but I think it may mature at a shorter height

o

hey there anyone, I would be interest in obtaining some of your yellow or Nuda bamboo. please email me I have some "black" indoors in a pot . But my yellow that I got last year looks dead....

please help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here