Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joefalco_gw

Landscape design help PICS

joefalco
16 years ago

I messed up the last post...

I just ordered some Semiarundinaria fastuosa from bamboo plantation. I ordered 5 small 1 gallon plants.

I am planning on planting along the chainlink fence. I currently have some Bambusa Multiplex goldengoddess near the end of the chainlink fence. I am adding pics so you can see them. The Golden Goddess is just starting to get established at about 6 feet tall at the tallest.

Should I dig up the Golden Goddess and where should I move it to. Do you think around the pond would look good?

This area is about 25 feet long.

{{gwi:423310}}

{{gwi:423312}}

{{gwi:423315}}

{{gwi:423317}}

{{gwi:423319}}

{{gwi:423321}}

{{gwi:423323}}

{{gwi:423325}}

{{gwi:423326}}

{{gwi:423327}}

{{gwi:423328}}

{{gwi:423329}}

{{gwi:423330}}

Comments (7)

• brian_k
    16 years ago

Bamboo always looks good around water... I would transplant the multiplex to somewhere around the pond. That way you can let the S. fastuosa screen the fence.

Try to plant 2 more multiplexes around the pond to "balance it". Maybe 2 near the end of one side, and 1 in the middle of the other.

• joefalco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Brian

As you can see everything is kind of a work in progress.

Sounds good to me I need to concentrate on 1 area at a time rather than putting a little something here and there.

That has been my biggest mistake in the past.

• joefalco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I took my wife's advice and now they are clumped around the pond. The leaves are all shrivled up I'll take a pic in a few days if they look better and post it here.

• gene_in_lugoff
    16 years ago

Hey joefalco This is what you might consider doing.I would roundup the grass that is close to your plants.Grass really sucks up water.Then put lots of mulch around the plants.In Columbia the city sells composted pinestraw for $30 a trailer load.This works good and is affordable.I bet your town has similar deal.Mulch needs to be 6 inches or more.Make akind of bowl with the plant in the middle.That will help catch water.You might also consider planting more trees.your yard looks like some shade would help your plants.Even full sun can take some shade and shade conserves water.I would put five to seven trees in.Sounds like a lot but that will give you shade sooner and you can cut down some later.You could plant one or two oaks as permanent and plant mimosa, paulownia,or chinaberry.Mimosa looks really tropical flowers all summer grows really fast.Paulownia purple flowers in spring then HUGE leaves for summer-roots get a buttress look like in jungle.Once I start yakkin can't stop.Send me an email or come see me .

• joefalco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gene, You are great!

You don't remember but you gave me my black bamboo, moso, and some others. don't lnow the names. They are all alive but have never taken off. The Alphonse karr has done the best in the front side yard.

I like your ideas but hate mimosa trees I don't need to plant one they sprout from my neighbors houses. They look nice but are like weeds.

I've gotta check out the buttress I don't know what that one is.

I think your right a few trees could help it's deadly hot back there. I did plant a sycamore tree which I am surpriosed at how fast it has grown. Based on the speed of it's growth I might get a couple more of those.

My yard is on the small side so 5-7 trees sounds like a lot but I guess if you can just cut them down later it's ok.

Would you sugggest planting near the property line or where?

My goal is to be surrounded by bamboo so I cannot see any neighbors houses or even to 2 story apts accross the street.

From there add more tropical looking stuff bananas, canna, gingers, etc etc...

• gene_in_lugoff
    16 years ago

I remember you.How are your boys?Paulownia is the name of that tree with butress roots.Really fast grower with lots of water ,in four years mine have grown from three feet to thirty.These are the trees that they advertise as fastest shade tree in world.I would put trees to give you shade from hot afternoon sun.And maybe next to your deck so you wouldn't be sitting in the sun.Planting several really speeds shade.If you only plant one you'll get shade but you probably want it as soon as possible so you can enjoy it.I learned this from my mother-in-law.She lived next door and planted lots of trees and it really made it nice to sit outside.When you water its best to just leave the hose on the tree for an hour or so .This really helps them get their roots going.If you want some plants let me know.Also,a great place to get plants cheap is the south carolina market bulletin.You can look at past issues on internet or subscribe for $10 per year.They have all kinds of plants and farm stuff- sometimes mulch or manure.Your yard could use some evergreen shrubs .that way you still have some green in winter.Hope this helps.

• joefalco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah Gene,

I would love some plants again ;-) Maybe I can make it up there again with the kids. The Kids are doing great they have grown alot since you have seen them.

Maye I should get some camillas for winter interest.

Everyone says not to get the Paulownia tree, but I do remember yours and they looks great. I could plant one on each side of the deck.

I want a complete all around border of bamboo so where should the trees go?

The trouble is I stll want some open area for the kids to run and I don't want tons of leaves in the pond either.

Since you wrote I was also thinking about Hybrid poplar trees.

Would it look OK to have trees and bamboo mixed in the background as a border? or would it just be a mess.

Anyway Its nice chatting with you again. I would really like to get up there on a Saturday sometime.

Im going to look up the bulletin online right now.