Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a bamboo?

Posted by winsorw 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 17:30

Hello,
I visited the Iao valley state park in Hawaii last week and saw this ground cover. I think it's a bamboo but it could be grass. Anyone know what it is (specific name)? I forgot to take a close up picture.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a bamboo?

Are the stems woody?

o

Hi spiros,
I didn't even look that close. My bad!

o

It looks to me like one of the dwarf running bamboos in the Pleioblastus genus, such as Pl. distichus 'Mini.' Go to www.bambooweb.info, check out the pictures for this species, and see what you think.

o

The dwarf bamboos that get 6"-12" tall don't typically have the woody stems that regular, larger bamboo have.

o

Thank you Kudzu, I looked at those and I thought it could be a Pleioblastus too but I don't see anything that looks exactly like it. Perhaps it is something that won't grow in the PNW anyway.

o

Maybe you can....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bamboogarden.com/Pleioblastus distichus.htm

o

Those minis do grow in the PNW...I have several. However, they do look a little different sometimes when they are young as opposed to established.

o

Thank you both. The one I saw looked different (I think), but it could be like you said. I should try it. Thank you both again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here