Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mang182

bamboo in utah

mang182
18 years ago

does anyone know where or who has bamboo in utah, I really want to look at what is growing here, to consider my options, I might go to the zoo and see if they have anything. I just want the thickest culms possible. Based on the research I've done Vivax looks good on paper. But it would be great to see how succesfull it's been here.

Comments (9)

• eric_layton
    18 years ago

Mang182,
    Lagoon has some bamboo by the Samurai Ride and also some by Rattlesnake Rapids but I haven't been there lately so I don't know how it has held up. The International Peace Gardens at Jordan Park has Ph. rubromarginata, Ph. aurea, and Ps. japonica. The rubro grows probably over 15 feet tall, but they trim it back to about 8 feet each year and have it confined to about 16 square feet of growing soil. Not the optimum conditions by a long shot. My tallest bamboo is about 10' after 3 years. The tallest species I have are Phyllostachys: glauca, rubro, nuda, decora, and aureosulcata. You are welcome to stop by and see what I have. Drop me an email and we can arrange a time.
    Eric

• utahroger
    16 years ago

I am looking for a source to obtain a large quantity of bamboo that will grow to about 6 to 8 feet tall to plant as a living privacy screen... Roger

rogerdoct@msn.com

• sheriberi
    16 years ago

I live near the east bench of Salt Lake City, zone 6. I have had a clump of yellow groove bamboo for about 10 years. Every year for the last 5 years it has grown taller and thicker. I'm guessing it is about 10 to 14 feet tall now. It's a beautiful plant and a very good screen. It's basically care free. However, I am now faced with the problem of restricting its' travel. It's getting too close to my magnolia tree.

• srolle1
    16 years ago

sheriberi,

i am right next to brighton high and would be happy to help you dig up some of your Phyllostachys aureosulcata. i have a young planting that i could always add more to. it would be better to do this when it cools down in late september or october but i can work around you schedule.

• zone_denial
    16 years ago

Fargasia rufa does very well here. I have a nice clump growing in full sun and other than a little upper leaf burn it thrives. It took last winter's cold-snap without a hitch, as well. The best part is it's not a runner - so you can get a 4-6 foot patch without any worries. Lowes sells a small container for around 20 bucks, but I found a much nicer specimen off ebay.

• srolle1
    16 years ago

zone d,

how tall is your F. rufa growing and does it get late afternoon sun? mine is in its early stages and shows signs of leaf burn with sun later than about 2pm. my F. robusta 'pingwu' shows no signs so far.

• srolle1
    16 years ago

mang182,

i just re-read your post and noticed you were looking at vivax for the "thickest culm possible". i'm not sure if you just want the widest, strongest or near solid culm you can find but vivax typically breaks during winter snow loads. they can be fairly thin walled, though thick in diameter or appearance.

• zone_denial
    16 years ago

Hi srolle 1

Sorry it took so long to respond, I haven't been back on the forum for a while.

My Rufa is about 3 ft. tall and does get sun most of the day. I planted it spring 2006 and it has at least tripled in size. It does get upper leaf burn, especially due to the extreme highs we've had all summer, but overall has been very happy in its location.

I'll have to check into 'pingwu', as most of the spots I'm working with are on the sunny side. I love borderline tropicals and alot of sun is a must in our climate - the difference between survival and not.

Best, Alan

• srolle1
    16 years ago

alan,

i'll try keep you updated on my bamboo adventure. i'm growing about 16 different types and will let you know what does well through the first winter. so far, almost all are thriving and have new shoots. ph nuda is the only one that is constantly leaf burned and questionable due to the late sun.

mang182,
    millcreek nursery has a few varieties of phyllostachys, mostly ynigra and aureosulcata, at prices some may be willing to pay. i think willard bay may have some as well.