bearstate

Looking for Rhizomes ...

bearstate
16 years ago

I have seen pics of the following ...

Phyllostachys atrovaginata

Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis'

Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis'

These are cold hardy bamboo to -10F/-23C and are medium height clumpers. Though it gets hot in Bakersfield, CA, I believe they should be alright if planted in shade or partial shade.

I would like to get some rhizomes for any or all of these, but don't know where to find them.

They must be legal to ship to California. Where can I obtain them, please.

Comments (3)

• cmontross
    16 years ago

Those are not clumpers, they are runners. All boos in the genus Phyllostachys are runners. There are many bamboo hobbyists in CA. Fred Irvine should be advertising on craigslist or check with some of the commercial boo nurseries out there. Or even with some of the ABS chapters, I am sure they can direct you to members that grow those varieties.

• bearstate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, there you have it. I'm a perfect neophyte when it comes to Bamboo.

But I learn by doing as we all do. So, I'll just bungle onward. I at least, know they are a grass. :)

So the clumpers are ...

Borindas
    Fargesias
    Thamnocalamus
    Himalayacalamus
    Chusqueas
    Bambusas
    Otataea

And the runners include ...

Phyllostachys
    Pleioblastus
    Chimonobambusas
    Hibanobambusas
    Semiarundinarias
    Pseudosasas
    Indocalamus
    Sasas
    Sasaellas
    Sasamorphas

and a bunch of others like ...

Shibataeas
    Arundinarias
    Bashanias
    Sinobambusas
    Yushanias
    Qiongzhueas

Do I have this much correct now?

I suppose what I read had me set with a bit of paranoia about running bamboos and having them get out of control, but all in all, hey the ones I really found likeable were running bamboos. It's one of those rare times where I find myself guilty of making the picture fit what I wanted it to be, instead of reality.

So OK, I admit, I like the running bamboos better and I guess I'll just have to face my fears. Fear is the mind killer. I'll just have to cut them back every now and then. How much worse can 30 foot tall running bamboos be than crab crass, LOL!

Thanks for setting me straight.

I found a nursery, but they only sell a gallon plant at the smallest. Why can't I seem to find a place that just sells a simple damned rhizome? Or is the gallon bamboo ... a rhizome?

• chills71
    16 years ago

I really wouldn't buy a bamboo plant smaller than a one-gal plant (unless I was very familiar with the owner of the nursery and knew his plants were well established and he was willing to replace anything that didn't make it).

I bought one-rhizome bamboo shoots on Ebay and had them survive a while, but succumb before a single year had passed. (granted my climate is different than yours, but both passed during the warmer months rather than in winter).

Once I wisened up I bought a 1-quart golden groove (from a nursery owner similar to what I described above). Nothing else I have bought has been in less than a 2 gal pot (Temple bamboo and Phyllostachys Nigra)...Though I will confess to buying a 3 gal Nigra and dividing the plant in two pieces to share with my dad who has always wanted it (besides he is in Fl and if my piece dies, I'll be able to replace it from his in a year or so anyway).

There are some pretty reasonable mail order places (as long as you're getting a couple or shipping can be as much as or more than the plant). If you need recommendations, I'm sure people here would gladly make recommendations.

~Chills
    oh, yeah...Bearstate....welcome to the forum, I hope you stick around and join the community.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths