Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rhizome divisions

Posted by hank11 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 8, 09 at 19:59

Next Jan/Feb I plan to dig some of my Phy. Dulcis and Phy. Bambusoides to keep their spread in check. There will be lots of extra rhizomes. In the past I simply cut them in about 8 inch pieces and put them in 5 gal. pots, and have had good success, but only get one single culm from each one. I realize that this is a very slow way to go and takes an extra year or two, but I am a patient grower and hate to waste a healthy rhizome. My question is this, can I put two three or four separate pieces in one pot and expect them to do ok, or would this "choke" them out or cause the whole pot to be weaker? Also I realize that it is best to dig culms that are 2-3 years old but I have a lot that are from this spring and have to come out.They are about an inch in diameter and 8 to 12 feet tall. Should I pot these up or am I expecting too much?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rhizome divisions

No problem combining roots. Timing depends on zone you are in. Seems like I have the best luck with roots in late spring. Rgds

o
RE: rhizome divisions

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 23:27

hank-
I see no problem with putting more than one rhizome cutting in a pot...just make sure you use a decent size pot. As for the existing culms, I have had pretty good luck taking divisions like you want to do of stuff that has come up in the current growing season. You might lose a couple of them, but if you're needing to take them out, go ahead and pot them up as long as they have at least a modest root or root ball. It's worth a try and you may have a fairly decent success rate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here