Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mollyinthegarden

best bamboo for poor drainage area

mollyinthegarden
13 years ago

Hi All,

I am looking for a bamboo that will deal the best with having periodic wet feet. It needs to be a clumper, but no other requirements. I am looking at alphonse karr, golden goddess and fernleaf, but am open to other options that are hardy in zone 8. I know that bamboo can deal with wet conditions, but I am wondering if anyone has experience with some bamboo dealing with it better than others. The area is a low spot in the yard and has poor drainage from neighbors irrigation and will stay wet for long periods after heavy rainfall. Thanks in advance for you advice! Molly

Comments (7)

• boomantoo
    13 years ago

I don't know of any clumpers that are good with wet feet. But I do know of some runners that are: Arundinaria Gigantea, Phyllostachys heteroclada, Phyllostachys Atrovaginata.

• kentuck_8b
    13 years ago

If you build a mound in the wet area to put your clumper on, it should do alright.

I have a potted textilis growing in a 5 gallon pot, which is sitting inside of a 25 gallon tub with 6 inches of water in it. It has been this way for three years now and it does just fine. As long as about half of the potted bamboo is above the water, it seems to like it.

I would try building up a few areas to put your plants on, that way they won't be in standing water.

Kt

• boomantoo
    13 years ago

Thanks Kentuck that is great advice. I will be using this technique in the near future in some of my wetter areas. I so appreciate the expert opinions on this site. I have learned a great deal from people like Kentuck, kudzu and too many others to mention. There is always someone on here who knows the answers. Thanks to all who contribute to better bamboo gardening.

• kentuck_8b
    13 years ago

You're welcome.

As you mentioned, clumpers usually don't like wet feet, but with many, especially the Bambusas, I've noticed that the bottom half in water, in a pot for long periods never seems to hurt the plant.

The reason I do this, is to keep the plant watered enough while I am away. During the hot Summer months, if I water once a day, the plant will dry out before I get back to water it again and it will die, but keeping it submerged in water, it does just fine. Just don't keep the water level too high or the plant will start to turn yellow.

Good Luck

Kt

• mollyinthegarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I will try the alphonse karr i think and I will mound the soil up a bit when planting. I was also thinking of putting some french drain gravel in the bottom of each hole to help a bit with the wet feet if that sounds like a good idea? Thanks again! Molly

• alan_l
    13 years ago

I don't think the gravel will help any.

• kentuck_8b
    13 years ago

I'm not sure how you are thinking of putting the gravel in the hole, but I agree with Alan, I don't think it would help.

Even in a pot, gravel serves little purpose since soil eventually fills in around the gravel. The gravel only takes up space where the roots could be growing.

Good Luck

Kt

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm