Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to finish killing running bamboo

Posted by jcurts Portland OR area (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 22:48

The area I am working on is approximately 10 by 30 feet.

I have dug out all the clumps of the hateful stuff and tilled about a foot deep until the ground is very soft and aerated. Will rake more until the larger root clusters are pretty well found and removed.

I am no environmental puritan but have found the chemical approach is a losing battle. OTOH the only chemical that shows any immediate progress in stopping and killing this stuff is gasoline and to a lesser degree diesel. Not a serious option of course and I only tried it on a little area so chose the digging and tilling option.

What am I needing to do to feel assured I have removed whatever propagates new growth of this stuff?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to finish killing running bamboo

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 12:25

What propagates new growth is chunks of viable rhizome, not tiny pieces. Maybe you got all the viable stuff, maybe you didn't. If you see some whipshoots coming up next year, dig down and remove the piece of rhizome chunk you missed; no big deal. Chemicals are only good for poisoning your soil and the groundwater, not killing bamboo. Too bad the bamboo was allowed to get out of control...it's a great plant if you maintain it properly.

o

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure how big of a piece of the rhizome it takes to produce more growth. Had considers running the soil through a screen of one inch or smaller mesh. That is pretty well where I am at. I will probably remove all the loose soil and install barriers then refill the area with top soil.

Again Thanks

Jim

o

Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 17:40

jcurts-
No insult intended, but you're causing yourself a lot of work by being a little too scared by the bamboo. There are a lot of urban myths about bamboo, and you've got an out-of-control grove, so it's easy to believe them. However, bamboo are not like other invasive plants: tiny pieces in the ground will not regenerate. In addition, bamboo roots take a while to get established, so, even if you left foot-long chunks of it in the ground, there is a good chance most or all them will die. If there are viable chunks, you'll know next spring, but the shoots will be tiny and the roots easily removed. It would take several years of neglect by you for any viable pieces left in the ground to even start re-building their root structure.

Save yourself some time and energy. You do not need to install barrier if you've removed most of the bamboo, and you do not have to screen the soil for small pieces. I grow lots of bamboo without barriers, and occasionally I relocate small groves. I've never had anything major come up afterwards. I have had a couple of spindly whip shoots appear the next year, and that identified for me where remaining chunks of rhizome were. Once I took those modest chunks out, the area was bamboo-free.

o

Again, thank you for your advice and support. I did a final tilling of the area today and found only a few small chunks.

With your help I feel the job is complete and will move on to other projects.

Jim

o

Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 21:08

I think you got it licked. If there is any regrowth, it will be trivial and easy to completely remove.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here