Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Bamboo Outdoors?

Posted by sujewel z6 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 22, 06 at 22:50

Well, I'm still having watering issues with my Black Bamboo. I have a tendancy to underwater and this summer has been really tough on many of my plants. My black bamboo, however, has truly suffered. I've heard on Urban Outfitters that Black Bamboo has a difficult time bouncing back from underwatering - GREAT.

So, I'm wondering if taking the bamboo outside for the winter will do this once beautiful boo any good. What do you think?

Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Bamboo Outdoors?

I have my black bamboo planted in the ground. I have never tried growing it as an indoor/outdoor container plant, but I can tell you that containerized bamboo will suffer if you leave it outside. If it is in the ground (and mulched) it will have a much greater chance of making it. Not sure where you are, but I am in northeastern New Jersey and have had black bamboo in the ground now for years here. In a especially cold winter it may burn somewhat in sunny exposed sites but it will recover quickly in the spring and summer.

o

Thanks for the info. I'm in North Bergen, NJ. I will take it outside for the winter and see how it does in the container. We have too many trees in the backyard already. There is just no more room to place it in ground.

There would be room in the courtyard, but it's concrete.
Hopefully it will be fine in the container and recover in the spring.

o

If you leave the Phyllostachys nigra (black bamboo) outside in a container, I would expect major burning of the leaves if not the complete death of the plant. (Better off in a frostproof garage or coolish interior position if you can't get it into the ground. There is NO comparison between overwintering a plant in a container and overwintering in the ground. Containers don't offer much protection from the cold.

o

I don't have a garage. I live in a city. The house does get chilly because we don't control the heat. Think it will recover ok if I leave it indoors and just take it out in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here