Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oldhamii in palm springs

Posted by palmsprings california desert (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 24, 06 at 1:11

I'm so pleased to find this site. I hope someone can help.
I live in Palm Springs, CA.
In February I planted 12 24" boxes of oldhamii. They are grown in costal San Diego so needless to say it's been a shock for them.
I got a mite infestation early on. Thank god for the internet...the landscapers and gardeners havent a clue. I have that under control but have a new problem.
The leaves go from looking deep lush green to this: parts of the leaves turn brown as though being cooked....then perfectly happy green leaves start turning an orangish red color then start defoliating at an alarming pace.
When leaves start turning brown I assume this means not enough water, keep in mind it's still over 90% here.

Is it possible this whole problem is really over watering?

I just found this site. I'll see if picture posting is available and post a few as this problem is in full swing as I type.

I so appreciate any help.

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oldhamii in palm springs

• Posted by unautre 8B San Antonio TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 24, 06 at 20:11

"When leaves start turning brown I assume this means not enough water"

No, the dessicated leaves will first curl up tight axially to reduce surface exposure to wind and sun. Watering the roots will cause the leaves to uncurl within minutes.

Then you could wait until they leaves curl up again. This will give you baseline of the water requiremnts. It's not enough water to allow it to thrive, but it's enough to keep it comfortablly alive.

Adding a little more water than above will probably remove water questin from the bamboo's growing restiction.

I badly overwatered a new Bambusa tuldoides, had the same symptons as you did, many leaves turning yellow and dropping. The seller told me to stop watering. I removed all the yellow leaves to have completely green baseline. With no more water, the green leaves stayed green until they curled from dryness. Then I started watering again with a much lower volume and frequency. The plant has thrived since then.

Overwatering bamboo in well draining soil I think is pretty hard to do, so I find it hard to believe that your problem is over-watering EXCEPT if your bamboo's soil drains very poorly, remains waterlogged.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here