Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerry619

Golden Goddess Hedge looking not looking so good

gerry619
9 years ago

I'll try to make is as short a possible. I live in San Diego. A few months back (approx June) I planted a few golden goddess bamboos in order to divide and create a screen between my driveway and my neighbors ugly front yard. The space is about 14ft wide and receives direct sun. I bought 5 or 6 golden goddess in I believe 1-gallon pot, plants were about 3 feet tall. I split all of them except one and planted them about a foot or a foot and a half apart. The plants weren't in the best condition to begin with due to some recent hot windy weather but they were in decent shape. Since then I have watered them daily, but they just havent seemed to ever get nice and healthy looking, always having a lot of dry leaves. A couple of months after that (around August) I ended up splitting in half and filling in two gaps I had in the row wih the spare one, which had been in a terrca cotta pot since I bought it and was actually (looking nice and healthy, green and bushy not too many brown leaves). So fast forward to now and my hedge still looks pretty sorry. And for whatever reason the last one I planted which looked the healthiest when it was in a pot looks the worst ones in the row. The picture is not the best and I know it's kind of hard to tell between the bamboos and my neighbors ugly dead grass but I could really use some advice here. What am I doing wrong?? I have literally watered them everyday since I planted them with the exception of a few days (not in a row) here and there. I will try to take a better pic tomrw from a different angle so maybe it'll be easier to see. Page couple of them look ok but at least half of them look like crap!! Someone please advise. Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• gerry619
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic

• gerry619
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As you can see ones on the far right look the best. From what I recall I didn't split this one after I bought it. Should I not have split the others??

• gerry619
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One major point I forgot to mention was that a few weeks ago I gave them a decent spraying with malathion since they were full of that black sooty looking stuff in addition to white mealy bugs. I had tried other "organic" methods but didn't seem to be doing much. I just want to know where to go next and what I'm doing wrong. Should I just trim down the ugly dry ones?? Should I rip them out with a fresh plant although that's going to cost me which I rather avoid. Any advise would be appreciated!

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Those plants were too young and too small to divide. If you are going to buy bamboo in 1-gallon pots, plant them and give them a couple of years to establish themselves. Several years hence they may be ready to divide. As for your existing plants, although I hope I am wrong, I suspect that the premature dividing probably either did them in, or set them back a lot. You can cut back any parts that are dead (tan culms), and leave them in the ground and keep watering and some of them might come back, but it will be a long time before any still alive recover and size up. If you want a hedge any time soon, you will probably have to start over with new plants. Bamboo is very resilient, but dividing such small plants usually doesn't leave enough root mass to allow the divisions to survive, especially in the kind of hot weather you have been having. Sorry...

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 3:15

• gerry619
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid you were going to say that. Alright, so I might just take the ugliest (driest) ones out and replace them and keep the ones that look decent. Thanks again for the response. I also have some questions regarding some potted Alfonse Karr but I will create a separate post now that I know how easy it is to post pics. Thanks again!

• gerry619
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So this is what they look like from nursey. So I should not split this before planting in ground?

• gerry619
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still not looking much better....

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I know those look like they have a lot of culms, but I just have never had good luck dividing a potted bamboo that small. You might get away with it, or it might just set the individual divisions into shock, which will require quite a while to recover from.