Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo in Ohio

Posted by gordon43812 z6 OH (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 29, 08 at 2:43

Hi all!!
I am planning on a little backyard redo next spring and was hoping that there is some kind of bamboo that I can plant outdoors. If not, what is a good type to get that I could bring inside to overwinter. I have a pond and I really like the looks of bamboo. I could put it in large pots around the pond if I had to but I would really love to plant some for screening around the yard. Any suggestions would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo in Ohio

Hi, you may choose outdoor bamboo flooring, it is strand woven bamboo with anti-slip surface. You can google bamboo decking, and find more information about it. There are also many other good wood types which is specially installed outdoor. Like balau, teak, merbau, ipe. They are very stable although sunshine and water on it. Take care.
http://www.parketflooring.com
info@parketflooring.com

Here is a link that might be useful: oak flooring and oak plank supplier

o

oak_parquet-
Go away! Spamming is not allowed in these forums.

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 6, 08 at 20:21

I recall people saying that their bamboo punctured the pond's liner. So not sure how close you would want it. But YES, bamboo can grow fine in Ohio

o

• Posted by noki Ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 11, 08 at 22:25

Fargesia rufa is a nice polite clumping type, 'Green Panda' is a newer cultivar while there are a few others for sale. Stays mostly green during winter, suppossedly gets 6-8' but takes more than a few years. Could be used in pots and look nice but I would guess would suffer in pots during winter.

There are some larger Bamboos that do very well in Ohio, get an impressive 20' high, but can easily get out of control, around the pond or all over the place. Is that what you want?

Check out a good nursery next spring, see what you can find.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here