Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery bamboo

Posted by ahlstrom 8 (ahlstromgardens@gmail.com) on
Sat, Oct 30, 10 at 3:08

Can anyone tell me what kind of bamboo this could be? I do know that it is a tropical.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery bamboo

Are any of the leaves variegated?

Did you purchase the bamboo from a nursery or dig it up locally, and if so, how tall was the 'mother' plant?

Kt

o

They came from a Florida nursery. I bought them off ebay. I bought 20 plants. 4 Buddha bellies, 9 Wevers, 2 labeled Gracelis and the rest not labeled. I have them planted in zone 8 in Gonzales Texas.

o

Bambusa vulgaris 'Vittata' aka Painted Bamboo.

o

I propagate bamboo for a living, and I agree with chicken that is definitely Bambusa Vulgaris Vittata. The reasons are, pubescens (tiny black hairs on the sheaths), happens with a few species, but especially with the Vulgaris Family. Bamboo is sometimes hard to differentiate when juvenile, but that big shoot is showing a bigger size, vulgaris. The discoloring in the leaves is common in vulgaris just like spotty mold to the multiplex. Do not plant it near the edge of your fence. Give it a lot of space. Roots get huge. Canes get to 4 inches diameter. 40+ feet tall. One of the fastest growing tropical boos. Super easy to propagate from culm cuttings, will produce shoots rapidly. You may get lucky and an inverse cane will appear. Green cane, yellow stripes. Propagate from that cane for a new bamboo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here