Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22534026

Fertilizer

User
9 years ago

I have recently planted Semiarundinaria Fastuosa around my yard. I am wondering is anyone has a recommendation for a good fertilizer to use. Specific recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm located in San Diego.

Comments (4)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Bamboo is not particular. I sometimes throw a handful of Osmocote slow release fertilizer on mine in the spring, but any balanced fertilizer, or just grass fertilizer, will work fine.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, kudzu9! Is there any specific formulation? I'd seen another post where you recommended 0-10-10 in fall. And I saw another post where someone wrote: "We use lawn fertilizer with a 3-1-2 ratio ( 21-7-14 ) first in March, then again at the end of May. In the fall we use 5-10-10 or 0-10-10."

I should use 0-10-10 now, whichever fertilizer I use?

The reason I ask is because the plants have suffered a lot of leaf loss and leaf curling after being transplanted. I'm not sure what caused it. They were 24" boxes and the plants were split, so I'm hoping it's not a problem with the root mass. Despite the fact that we're on water restriction, they seems to be getting enough water, 10 minutes three times a week, or every other day, and I give them water from the hose when there's a gap of 2 days.

I'm really hoping the fertilizer helps. They were so healthy looking before being transplanted. There are new shoots coming up, but some of the old ones are looking pretty poor.

This is my first bamboo, so I might be overly concerned. Considering how everyone talks about how robust the plants are, I can't imagine they'd die even getting sun and water, and soon fertilizer.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Standard fertilizer is just a mixture of three inorganic chemicals (nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium: N-P-K). Find any brand that is 0-10-10 and it will be fine. It could be 0-5-5 even...the main point is you don't want something with nitrogen because that stimulates foliage when you don't want that happening: in the fall/winter, you only want to stimulate root growth.

I think you may be overly concerned. Sometimes bamboo need to recover after being planted and may not look their best for a while. It may even take 2-3 years to see substantial new growth. Bamboo are tough and yours should be fine when it settles in.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Don't fertilize stressed plants, like those suffering from transplant shock. The plants are unable to metabolize it properly and it only increases the shock/stress. All new plants need is adequate water. 10 minutes 3 times a week is not getting sufficient water down to the root mass (I hate automatic sprinkler systems -- they are NEVER programmed correctly for the plant needs!!). Better you save that up and water once a week for at least 30 minutes.

Save the fertilizing until spring and new growth starts showing. Bamboos don't require much. An application of regular lawn fertilizer in early spring is more than sufficient.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner