Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guadua_gw

Free bamboo - bambusa ventricosa

guadua
16 years ago

I have a clump I'm getting rid of. I've cut it back to 3-4 feet tall. You can have whatever you dig. It's not an easy dig though....

Comments (13)

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

I'm from Venus, TX. That's a little too far to travel even for some free bamboo...Venus to Jupiter...

• guadua
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wonder how many towns are named after planets. I haven't had any takers yet :( It's partially dug, if that helps. I have a dendrocalamus asper thats going where it is.

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

You'll like the Asper. It doesn't do well here in the Winter but it loves the Summer heat and humidity.

D. brandisii is also one of my favorites. It seems to grow straighter culms than the Asper. It does well here and looks great in a pot, with it's very large leaves.

Kt

• guadua
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The D. asper I have is a seedling I bought from Future Forests Nursery in Hawaii. I bought 5 seedlings a few years back and they all had a different look to them. The one thats replacing the buddha belly looks like it could be another hitam. The culms have a slight purplish color to them. It's still little, about 4 feet tall, w/ pencil thick canes. I can take a pic of it tomorrow if you want to see it.

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

Yes, that would be interesting to see.

• guadua
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When I went to take pics today the purplish color seems to be fading away :( but they still have a lil color left. I've had this plant in a pot for a few years and it almost died on me when I stopped watering it for awhile, just too busy sometimes. I threw it in the ground temporarily so I wouldn't have to water it haha....Just wish somebody would come get some buddha belly bamboo so I can have a permanent place for it. The leaves were curling from the heat so no full plant shot, I was going to water it and take a pic, but retreated from the heat to the AC :)

{{gwi:424495}}

{{gwi:424496}}

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

One of my Aspers has some darker/purplish colour to some of it's culms, but they seem to go away also.

Yours seem to have more colour than mine.

Nice Pics!!

Kt

• zzzmike
    16 years ago

I live in Midlothian Tx. South of Dallas. I'm looking for a free dig or just a name of a place I can buy bamboo in this area MIke Lynch mlynch71@hotmail.com. 972.948.2792

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

What kind of bamboo are you looking for? Do you want a runner or a clumper?

• guadua
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh well the miami dolphins stink, so I might as well post some more pics....

{{gwi:424497}}

{{gwi:424498}}

{{gwi:424499}}

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

Nice pics! Yep, football season has been bad this year.

The brandisii that I grow gets really huge leaves, some almost 4 inches wide and over 16 inches long, and that's in a pot!

You may want to try some and see how it does for you. I posted a picture of a Brandisii leaf beside a Fernleaf leaf in the gallery a while back but don't know if it is still there, but the difference is huge.

Very nice plants you have there!

Kt

• hello_c_j_here
    16 years ago

Hi, any chance youd ship a large root ball of the Buddha?
    Cary, NC 27511
    CJ

• barnaclebill
    15 years ago

I know this is probably too late but I live in Hobe Sound and looking for bamboo. Your offer is fantastic if still available.

Late Bill

Thanks

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner