Can anyone tell me which species of clumping bamboos

grow in a "open or well spaced habit"?

nothing too drastic,i have small garden in zone 8b

but not fond of a tight clump.

thanks R.R.

Comments (11)

• tcstoehr
    18 years ago

I would invistigate some of the Chusquea varieties. There are definately some leptomorphic bamboos that appear to have a clumping habit, although I don't know offhand which ones they are.

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

My Bambusa tuldoides(aka Punting Pole) is a very open clumper, but some insist, including the ABS, that it is a tight clumper. Culms about a foot apart.

Otatea acuminata ssp. aztecorum(aka MEXICAN WEEPING) is another bamboo of mine that is an open clumper.

Once established and of larger size, they both are cold hardy to about 22F.

Kt

• bamboo_oligarchy
    18 years ago

Yushania Anceps, Yushania Maling, and probably the other species in the Yushania genus are all open clumping. Chusquea Gigantea is open clumping however this species does not seem to grow well were I live (it is zone 8b however very close to a 9a environment). Temperatures above 85 seem to be harmful to Yushania Anceps as well however they seem to be somewhat more tolerant of heat than Chusquea Gigantea. It is possible that a Yushania can adjust to warmer climates if given enough time.

Other open clumping types include: Olmeca reflexa or Olmeca recta (extremely open clumping bamboos that can supposedly send up shoots around 26 feet or 8 meters apart and bear some type of fruit). The book "Bamboo for Gardens" has some information about it however it might be difficult to find this plant. Also it may be too grow too openly for your situation. The book indicates that Olmeca Recta is only cold tolerant to somewhere around 32F also.

• unautre
    18 years ago

"Bambusa tuldoides(aka Punting Pole) is a very open clumper"

Mine is quite tight, but it's only approaching 18 months in the ground.

Perhaps it's more open when more mature?

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

Bamboo Oligarchy, where can I get some O. recta? I don't know that it is available here in the U.S.

At 26 feet, wouldn't that make it a runner?

Kt

• mike_marietta_sc_z8a
    18 years ago

I wouldn't consider Yushania anceps an "open clumping" species. Although it can send up new shoots as far as 20 feet away from the parent clump, it eventually fills in the spaces between the initial shoots with more shoots and ends up as a dense clump with the culms spaced about 4 inches apart.

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

UnAutre, yes, mine is very open, but as I stated, some say tight clumper. The descriptions seem to be identical as far as leaves and culms go, but the openness of the clump varies. Possibly environmental? Maybe there are different species being called tuldoides.

A while back, we discussed this on this forum, and the responses were equally divided...half said open clumper, half said theirs were tight clumpers.

I question my B. beechyana ID also. Stated to have short internodes, lots of white powder, and culms that arch strongly, mine is very tight clumping, very erect, with long internodes, and very little, if any noticeable white powder.

Kt

• richardqld
    18 years ago

I would suggest both B.chungii and B.eutuldoides viridi-vittata.Both are spectacular plants.

• bamboo_oligarchy
    18 years ago

Kentuck 8b,

I do not know exactly where to get the O. Recta or the O. Reflexa. The book, "Bamboo for Gardens" (Ted Jordan Meredith) has some information about both however it does not have any sources from which either can be acquired. The book has a picture of Olmeca recta growing at the Quail Botanical Gardens. The traits of the Olmeca genus seem to be very interesting though.

The book describes the growth habit as "diffuse". Meredith states, "Olmeca reflexa, a Mexican bamboo with pachymorph rhizomes, has greatly enlongated rhizome necks, and new culms can be spaced as much as 26 ft. (8 m) apart." (page 68)

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info, Bamboo Oligarchy. I have been looking for some O. recta for a few years now. Someone posted here, a while back, that they did not see it at Quail Botanical Gardens. I would really like to see some pictures of it.

I may have to seek out a copy of that book. Thanks Again.

Kt

• divahethr
    15 years ago

Is yushania the only clumping type that sends out runners? Thanks if anyone can help.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County