Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with stunted bamboo shoot tips

Posted by thekatocat 9A (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 14:17

I have a punting pole (clumper) bamboo plant that has been in ground for one year now. It seems to have acclimated to the hot summers we have in Phoenix. This spring, its sprouted to shoots that reached 8-10 ft, but since then subsequent shoots will emerge sprouting 3-4 feet before the tip of the shoot browns out, then branching takes over the growth. Now that we are in fall the main shooting season, the shoots are not making past 1 ft. Other than that the secondary growth is lush and the plant seems healthy.

Any one know what kind of phenomenon is occuring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with stunted bamboo shoot tips

Are the new shoots as thick as the earlier Spring shoots?

Are they otherwise healthy looking?

Kt

o

they are generally thicker or the same, I've read on another post that juvenile bamboo can abort shoots if they lack sufficient energy.
not sure if thats the case cause it seems like the tips brown out so vertical growth is halted but energy than is diverted to branching

o

Interesting. Can you post a picture?

I've never had any bamboo abort shoots from lack of energy/food that I know of. I have had some die from too much or too little water during new shoot growth. Too much water will kill of most if not all, new shoots if it is persistent and lengthy, and also, severe drought will cause them to die.

The bamboo grove or clump, should normally be producing food constantly, in addition to using stored food for new growth, so it is strange that the new shoots are stopping before they reach their mature height, and then leafing out.

Maybe there is some kind of damage to the new shoots which is stopping their growth?

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here