Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing in raised concrete planter

Posted by hisun 11 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 24, 08 at 15:24

I want to put a mid-size (30-40 foot) clumping boo in a raised concrete block planter that we just installed off our patio. It is 3 feet wide, 2 feet deep, and 10 feet long. It's also very sturdy - full of rebar and fully grouted except for drain holes at the bottom. It sits in between a poured concrete patio and a retaining wall of our upslope neighbor.

Will the relatively small space that the clump is confined to stunt it's growth, and if so how much? Anything else I should think about?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing in raised concrete planter

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 24, 08 at 18:04

You don't say what kind of bamboo it is or how big in diameter the rootball is now. Nonetheless, it sounds like it should have room to grow for many years. If it looks like it's squeezed-in many years from now, you can always divide to make more room...although that will be quite a tough job on a big clumper.

o
RE: growing in raised concrete planter

I'm thinking about a schizostachyum brachyclaudum. It's now in a pot about 20" wide and deep.

Or maybe a thai monastery, but I've been told they are slow growers. Is that correct?

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here