Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
george4_gw

Where can I buy Vivax or Moso near Coumbia, SC?

george4
15 years ago

I live in Columbia, SC and would like to see some Vivax or Moso before buying it. Can anyone point me to a source near me? If not -who can give me a good deal on one of these? Thanks sooo much for your help!

George

Comments (9)

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

George-
    I'm sure there are nurseries around you that sell bamboo, but I checked the listings of American Bamboo Society member nurseries, and there were none for SC, although there are a number in bordering states. I've attached a link so you can look at these. You might also take a look at bambooplantation.com, a mailorder bamboo nursery which is in Mississippi. I've never ordered from them, but have heard they have a decent reputation.

One last thing. Vivax is very thin-walled, so, if you live in an area which ever gets snow, you could get breakage. A better choice in timber bamboos than vivax (and prettier in my opinion) is Ph. nigra 'Henon.'

Here is a link that might be useful: ABS Suppliers List

• iandad
    15 years ago

There are many groves of Moso in SC that you can go and dig for free. Best done in February though. Troll the web and you will find some locations...

There is a grove in downtown Aiken, but it has lots of no trespassing signs. There is also supposed to be a really impressive stand in Edgefield although I have not seen it.

I believe if you attend the Anderson cleanup they will let you dig this clone and get a start. It is SLOW to size up though, at least ten years. Given time in SC's climate, it is spectacular!

Henon will size up faster.

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

Digging bamboo for free is a great idea, if you:

1. Can do it legally;
    2. Know what you are doing (or have friends who know how) and have the right tools, because digging up timber bamboo is not easy; and
    3. Know that the bamboo is healthy (large groves often have bamboo mite infections)

• george4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I appreciate your help - thanks!!

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

George-
    If you're ever inclined to dig bamboo, email me if you want a set of instructions.

• joefalco
    15 years ago

I got my moso from a guy on here in Lugoff SC (Thanks Gene) As far as slow to size up. YES I have had mine for a think 2 years now and it's not doing anything more than surviving. It put up 2 tiny pencil thin shoots this year. However it looks healthy and hopefully someday it will become something impressive.

• Keiji
    15 years ago

Sorry not see this note till now!
    Have Vivax near Hendersonville, NC

• erm1981
    15 years ago

Hey I live in Anderson, SC not far from the moso grove. I was planning on digging one more up that is in an area of the grove that they dont do yearly cleanups on. They told me I could have all I wanted from that area because the shoots try to come up in the graves. Message me if you would be interested in meeting me one day and maybe we could help each other load these things up. I dug a 2 inch diameter culm last time and plan on digging a 3 incher this time. It takes most of the day to load one that big but if you get enough root ball it will take off and flourish.

• hang828
    15 years ago

erm1981 where is that located at if you don't mind telling me.I would love to go and dig myself some too.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz