Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamesdemien

Yellowing Leave on Bamboo

jamesdemien
12 years ago

Hey all- I planted some Yellow Groove a few weeks ago in a few 14'x18" cedar planter boxes. The boxes are lined with a perforated plastic barrier and are filled with a mixture of topsoil and ProMix. They are mulched with 3 inches of wood chips. I am in Saint Louis Missouri which has had high temps in the upper 70s for the first weeks of October and has now cooled off to mid 60s. My bamboo culms have turned yellow and have quite a few yellow leaves. Some of the stalks from the 5 gallon nursery pots have died and have dried parchment colored leaves which was expected from dividing them. The whole 5 gallon plants look a bit sickly. I'll let the photos explain the rest.

{{gwi:424809}}
{{gwi:424810}}

{{gwi:424812}}
{{gwi:424813}}
{{gwi:424814}}
{{gwi:424815}}

http://jamesdixson.com/bamboo/

Comments (4)

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

If those were all divided, then that is normal, plus the stress of transplanting.

If you have them in a different environment, such as more or less sunlight or too much water, they will also show those signs until the plants become acclimated.

I would cut back on the watering a bit and let the soil dry out some in between waterings.

Next year they should look great. Most will recommend NOT fertilizing in the first year, give or take, but if you do, use something like MiracleGro which isn't too strong,

Kt

• jamesdemien
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Most of those are straight from the 5 gallon size nursery pots which were sitting in full sun when I bought them. There are a two that were divided in the smaller planter and I lost some culms from those.

I may have overwatered them as I gave them a liberal soaking after planting and then had thunderstorms for two days in one week.

I'm hoping they bounce back but its starting to get colder.

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

Yes, it sounds like overwatering since some were straight from the pots.

This time of the year will be a bit harder on them also as far as recovering quickly since the cold weather is near.

Just a thought, but that planter may not last too long before the plants get rootbound.

Here in Texas, that planter would last only about two growing seasons before it needed thinning or repotting.

Not sure how cold it gets there, but some protection may be needed during cold spells. Above ground plants will not be as cold hardy as in-ground plants...something to consider.

Nice looking planter box.

Kt

• jamesdemien
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know that I used quite a few plants but I wanted an instant screen. If it gets to thick I can always pull the front of the box off and hack out some nice 18x18" bits to transplant somewhere else.

I'm also hoping that the proximity to the building and windows will give them a little heatand protection over the st Louis winter.

Thanks for the planter box comment. I like simple and functional looking stuff. Hopefully the lined cedar will last our entire 5 year lease on the new office.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery