Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uliejay

bamboo privacy screen in los angeles

uliejay
10 years ago

I recently purchased a single-story home adjacent to a two-story fourplex in Los Angeles. I have a narrow strip of land about 12" available to plant a privacy screen that would separate my driveway from my neighbor's side yard. Bamboo appealed to me for a number of reasons. I need something 12' tall minimum that will thrive in an a strip of land that receives partial sunlight (it is south-facing and receives sunlight all day but it is near two structures on both sides). I'm leaning towards the Bambusa Multiplex or a Phyllostachys Decora -- any reason I should choose one over the other?

Comments (3)

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

B. multiplex might provide a little better screening...but it's often almost as wide as it is high, so, if you have a tight space, it might not be a good choice. A Phyllostachys will be a much more erect plant for a narrow planting area.

Here is a link that might be useful: B. multiplex picture

• mimulus
    10 years ago

Hi. I'm in LA too. Can the branches be wider than 12" ? Do you need coverage low or just high for the upper level windows? If the plant can only be 12" wide its really too narrow of a space for total coverage because you will only have the stalks (called culms). If you only need coverage higher up and you can let the branches grow out then you have a better chance of coverage.
    I don't know of any bamboo that will stay only 12" wide at the base. If there is a deep barrier (1' for a clumper or 2' for a runner) then the bamboo will stay where you want it. Or you can put in bamboo barrier and not have to worry about it. Otherwise I would suggest a fence and a trellis/lattice above it, possibly with a vine.
    For narrow, very upright, shorter bamboos Check out Thamnocalamus, Fargesia nigra, Alphonse Karr, Chimonobambusa marmorea (runner) or maybe Tootsik (runner). Just Google them and you will see lots of photos and info.

• mimulus
    10 years ago

Hi. I'm in LA too. Can the branches be wider than 12" ? Do you need coverage low or just high for the upper level windows? If the plant can only be 12" wide its really too narrow of a space for total coverage because you will only have the stalks (called culms). If you only need coverage higher up and you can let the branches grow out then you have a better chance of coverage.
    I don't know of any bamboo that will stay only 12" wide at the base. If there is a deep barrier (1' for a clumper or 2' for a runner) then the bamboo will stay where you want it. Or you can put in bamboo barrier and not have to worry about it. Otherwise I would suggest a fence and a trellis/lattice above it, possibly with a vine.
    For narrow, very upright, shorter bamboos Check out Thamnocalamus, Fargesia nigra, Alphonse Karr, Chimonobambusa marmorea (runner) or maybe Tootsik (runner). Just Google them and you will see lots of photos and info.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living