Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for pics and info on these rare semiarundinaria spp.

Posted by plantaholic zone 8a AL (n2tropical@aol.com) on
Sat, Oct 30, 10 at 16:46

i would love to see pics and some information on these 3 semiarundinarias...maruyamana, yamadori, yoshi-matsumurae.

which of these is more desirable, more unique, and best suited to z8a in the deep south?

i cant find any pics or decent descriptions of these plants. i love the genus semiarundinaria and wouldnt mind adding one or all of these to my bamboo collection.

any advice or experience is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for pics and info on these rare semiarundinaria spp.

I never heard of any of those varieties of Semiarundinaria.

Where did you hear about them?

Kt

o

these are listed on the pricelist of bamboo sourcery. they are closing in nov and have a 50% off sale. the shipping is killing me tho. LOL

o

I guess I'm looking in the wrong place on their website, but I still don't see those varieties.

Anyway, I grow S. Okuboi ‘Birodona’ and S. Yashadake Kimmei and both do well here, however, they do not reach the listed height.

They both do well with little care even with the three year drought that we've been going through. They tolerate heat and cold well here in zone 8b.

Kt

o

go the the home page and scroll down to the plant list....where they list prices and sizes. i love the genus semiarundinaria.

yamadori is supposedly very similar to yashidaki. i cant find any info on the other two. i did call them and the nursery mgr is going to email a lil more info.

unfortunely, they were sold out of fortis....another one id like to have.

i grow okuboi. tell me about 'birodona'? im all ears! LOL

o

Yes, I found them after I posted that earlier. They sound like great boos.

I kept my okuboi in a pot for years before planting it in the ground.

Unfortunately, I planted it just before this drought started and it gets little water, but I planted it under the canopy of tall trees and next to brush so that the sun doesn't harm it too much.

It remains very short but has spread a few feet even under these conditions, so my guess is that it might be an aggressive runner if given the chance.

The leaves are wide for their length as compared to other bamboos and the culms grow very erect. Leaves are mostly at the top of the culms which I like.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here