Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dying / dead Bambusa oldhamii in los angeles

Posted by bigmoof 9 CA, Sunset zone 15 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 16:53

hello, i'm visiting a friend in los angeles and his Bambusa oldhamii (i believe that is what it is) appears to be dying. i can tell it was quite healthy at one time: some of the dead canes are 3 inches across. surrounded on four sides with cement, my guess is that it has completely filled the space allotted to it? there doesn't appears to be any soil left either: the ground is almost solid corms. any new shoots are very thin and don't grow very high.

what has happened, and what steps should he take to get his little bamboo forest back again? the photograph shows 1/2 of the stand. the other half is to the right.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dying / dead Bambusa oldhamii in los angeles

It's hard to tell if that actually is Oldhamii, but it does resemble it.

My Oldhamii has roots that extend several feet beyond the clump in all directions. It may be rootbound if it IS actually surrounded on all sides by concrete and it is deep enough down.

The roots need plenty of room to spread. From what you explained, it probably is rootbound and needs 'food' which means it need more room to grow.

I've had some luck(short-term) in topping the ground with fertile soil but that will help the plant only for a short while.

I would clear out all of the old dead culms and see what is left. It may never recover without replacing the existing plant and soil, but since you already have the bamboo, you could take a few divisions and keep it in pots, then replace the soil and replant the new plant in the new soil.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here