Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fargesia murielae privacy screen spacing question

Posted by ikea_gw 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 6, 08 at 17:29

I bought two Fargesia murielae so I can have a nice privacy screen to hide my neighbor's obnoxiously large (12 feet tall and 14 feet wide) shed right next to our property line. How far apart should I space them? Also, any other advice on growing murielae would be greatly appreciated as well. The site is under some tall oak trees and tulip trees that receives dappled shade from May to October and then full sun rest of the year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fargesia murielae privacy screen spacing question

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 6, 08 at 19:40

For a screen, I'd plant them about 4' apart. But, unless they are really large now, it's going to take a number of years to hide that shed. You may want to consider planting more than two...

o

In all the photos I have seen of this bamboo, it seems to grow as wide as it is tall. Are you sure 4 feet is not going to be too close? I am starting out with 5 gallon 5 feet tall plants so yeah it will be a while before it is huge. :)

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 12:55

It all depends on how much screening you want and how soon. You can certainly plant them further apart, especially if you're going to use only two bamboo. I'd say you should simply set the pots out in different locations and try to visualize what it will look like in 5+ years if they expand in the shape you're familiar with. I guess if you plant them pretty far apart and aren't satisfied in a few years you can always put another one in the center.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here