Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbianca_gw

new to black bamboo - how big a space

bbianca
18 years ago

hi

i just got a beautiful black bamboo and i planted it between the lawn and a long wall. The border is only 3' wide. i am getting really concerned after reading some threads here - is this space too small for it? will it destroy sprinkle systems, electrical wires ( malibu lights), will it go through the wall and enter our immediate neighbor's yard?

i am worried. please tell me what i should do while i still can.

thanks a bunch

bianca

Comments (13)

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

bbianca-
    Take a deep breath and tell yourself everything will be fine. It won't destroy your wiring and it won't destroy your plumbing. If you don't do anything, it will send out runners, and could, in time spread out farther than you want. If I were you, I'd rhizome prune a couple of times a year. Runners are usually close to the surface and, if you chop down with a sharp shovel all around the perimeter you want to maintain, it will sever the rhizomes. Since they depend on the main plant for food until they get established, chopping off the runners will cause anything beyond the cut line to wither. It doesn't have enough energy to grow by itself. If you do this in early and late fall, you should be fine. All those horror stories about bamboo are typically from people who planted some and left it to do whatever for several years, and then blamed the plant for growing. I've got about 40 different bamboo, including a number of black bamboo, and I have yet to have one get away. The people on this forum would probably not be growing bamboo if it was as terrifying as you describe. In fact some of us want our bamboo to grow faster and farther than it does. Now relax and enjoy your beautiful bamboo...

• coolshare
    18 years ago

The major issue you need to worry about is not the space
    (it will be enough even there is only 1' wide for nigra)
    but barriers (either in ground or beds). You need the wall side to be barried if you
    want to to have a nice neighbor and need the other side
    to be blocked if you still want your lawn and the other neighbor to be nice too. It is not "terrible" but not easy.

• Ackar
    18 years ago

Since bianca brought up sprinkler systems, it sounds like the bamboo already runs through or close to one. Rhizome pruning won't be completely effective if you're working around sprinklers.

I'm not sure how you could set up an effective barrier with an established sprinkler system in place. The spot where the system passes through the barrier will be a weak spot.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

If you know where the sprinkler system line runs, it shouldn't be a problem pruning on either side of it. (And I'm presuming the line runs parallel to the property line, not across it.) I've had an underground sprinkler system that runs to most of my bamboo and I have yet to sever a line.

• tcstoehr
    18 years ago

I'd reiterate most of what Kudzu said above, but when he says "it could, in time spread out farther than you want" I think it's more like it *will* very soon spread out farther than you want. I planted two Black Bamboo in a 10'x24' bed and they have each sent two runners 3 feet in opposite directions. These were two gallon pots from the nursery and they've spread out to 6' across in their first three months after planting. So keep your rhizome-pruning spade handy and enjoy the show.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

tcstoehr-
    Good point. It's always hard to predict how fast a newly planted bamboo may spread. I've had runners that stay pretty tightly bunched for years and others that are pretty vigorous the first season.

• bbianca
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thank you guys! i am relieved but i will keep an eye on it. i like it to expand sideways since the border is very long. going in all direction it will enter the lawn and neighbor's yard. what kind of a barrier can i put?

i am determined to keep and enjoy my bamboo. thanks for helping.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

bianca-
    Putting in a bamboo barrier is a lot of work. You need to be able to trench down at least 24" and install a special, high density roll plastic that goes for about $2 a running foot. Even then, it still gets punctured sometimes. If you don't use barrier, the rhizomes will grow laterally near the surface, rather than diving down because they hit a barrier. Because it's too much work to put in a barrier, and because it's not failsafe, I rhizome prune all my bamboo when they need it. It's a lot less work. If you don't want to deal with putting plastic bamboo barrier in the ground, but you do want to improve on your situation, you could always trench down all along the perimeter you want to maintain, and fill the trench with sand, which will make your rhizome pruning easier to do.

• seattleboo
    18 years ago

Yes to Kudzo's deep breath part, and do enjoy your black beauty for sure, in fact good info all down the line. I do wonder however, whether you have another space that might be more prudent for your Negra? It's easy to dig the plant up now and put it somewhere else, if you have another, better place ... think of the present placement as a "staging area", perhaps?

• bbianca
    Original Author
    18 years ago

kudzu

thanks. i know you are an expert. yes you are right i don't want to go lay such a barrier - we just finished hardscaping this brand new house - no more digging trenches - no more. i think i will take your advice and just hack it when i don't need it.

will come back for more advice i'm sure.

thanks again folks.

bianca

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

bianca-
    My black bamboo rhizomes are mainly within 2'-3" of the surface. In fact, I mulch with bark and can often see the runner telegraphing a noticeable ridge as it expands out. Just remember to do rhizme prune religiously once or twice each fall - whether you think you need it or not - and you should be fine.

• osnat
    16 years ago

I have been wanting Bamboo forever and finally got some for a good deal. I got 8 black Bamboo. I live in a rental and do not really want to plant these in the ground because I'd lie to be able to take them with me- Please let me know if they will survive in a pot- and how big a pot I need? (they are 10 feet)
    Also, how often to water, full sun OK? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I really don't want these to die

• joefalco
    16 years ago

I really wish my bamboo was nearly as invasive and aggressive as many people say. I planted some black bamboo last year and so far got one shoot.

I'm waiting for some shooting this year and so far nothing.

Kudzu you do such a good job defending bamboo. You should have a file for cutting and pasting to answer the same old questions about crazy run away bamboo.

Question how do I get this crazy run away bamboo grooves that I hear so much about.

My experience with bamboo in about 2 years

MOSO so far not real shoots

Some Philo species unknown, A few small shoots this year

Bambusa multiplex goldengoddess starting to look like something finally about 5 feet tall

b multiplex alphonse karr (best performing clumper for me so far about 3 feet tall from a tiny division)

b multiplex silverstripe OK performer time will tell

Point is Bamboo (at leat for me) has not been an out of control monster.

Anyone out there want to give me some evil bamboo to see what I can do with it?