Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feedmymunkey

lucky bamboo stalks yellow!!!!

feedmymunkey
18 years ago

sigh..ive had the lucky bamboo for a little over a year now and it was very healthy..then classes started for college and i gorgot to water it for a week and a half...so when i looked at it.all three stalks were yellow and mushy...im sure that its probably dead and that theres no hope for it...but this bamboo means a lot to me and its terrible that i neglected it.

BUT. i changed the water..cleaned the pot...and cleaned the mush off the stalks...

AND...theres TWO green leaves still....

SO....is there any hope for my plant?

Comments (16)

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

You may be luckier with a real bamboo.

Wait and see what happens, it sounds like you have done all that you can for it. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best. If the worst does happen, try growing a potted bamboo instead, you will be glad you did.

Kt

• wanna_run_faster
    18 years ago

I pretty much have incredible luck with plants EXCEPT for lucky bamboo and jade plants! I can keep them hanging on for about a year but sooner or later....

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

Dandelions are pretty easy to grow and care for...

• Thuja
    18 years ago

Last fall, I left mine outside and it froze. The entire thing died and turned to mush except for a small part at its base. It was slow but has grown back. It's planted in soil.

I'm actually going to try growing dandelions indoors for a Russian Tortoise this winter. Problem is dandelion has a long taproot and needs a fair amount of sun.

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

I read somewhere, that someone built a chair out of lucky bamboo. It was left out in the rain, and after a few days, the chair started to grow.

Kt

• countrynest
    18 years ago

So,Feedmymonkey, in other words, Lucky bamboo is not a bamboo.
    Just like a Rose of Sharon nor a Confederate Rose are not roses.

• xxx_Black_Dragon_xxx
    18 years ago

There's an Asian Gardening Forum now. :) And CountryNest is right. Lucky bamboo isn't a true bamboo at all.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

Oh no! Lucky bamboo has returned from the dead...

• Thuja
    18 years ago

Just when you thought it was dead, a rhizome appears... from out of no where, equipped with air channels, it survives even drowning...

• rob_e
    18 years ago

For luck, i grow hibanobambusa tranquillans shiroshima,
    oh! and 4 leaf clovers.

• ocimum_nate
    18 years ago

you will be lucky if it dies!!
    then you will have an excuse to get real bamboo.

• linorics
    16 years ago

The Yellow leafs can be Lack of nutrients
    Giving the plant Nitrogen Fertilizer will bring out dark green color in plants. Give half or less the amount recommended on the package.

Tip: You can add nutrients to water by adding air to the water. Place the water in the blender or shake up the water in a clean jug or cup.

• lizzie.huggins
    10 years ago

My Lucky Bamboo's stalk is really yellow, and has a scrape on the stalk, it looks infected I'm not sure how to fix it? Please help. i love this bamboo.

• kentuck_8b
    10 years ago

Wrong Forum.

You want the "Lucky" Bamboo forum.

• botanicalbill
    10 years ago

Lucky Bamboo, not a real bamboo, grows best in soil, not water. If you plant the thing in good soil, it will take off and spread. I planted one in the ground in florida about 8 years ago and it now has about 40+ new stems and is about 3' tall.

Sponsored