Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lucky bamboo stalks yellow!!!!

Posted by feedmymunkey z5 NY (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 05 at 18:57

sigh..ive had the lucky bamboo for a little over a year now and it was very healthy..then classes started for college and i gorgot to water it for a week and a half...so when i looked at it.all three stalks were yellow and mushy...im sure that its probably dead and that theres no hope for it...but this bamboo means a lot to me and its terrible that i neglected it.

BUT. i changed the water..cleaned the pot...and cleaned the mush off the stalks...

AND...theres TWO green leaves still....

SO....is there any hope for my plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lucky bamboo stalks yellow!!!!

You may be luckier with a real bamboo.

Wait and see what happens, it sounds like you have done all that you can for it. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best. If the worst does happen, try growing a potted bamboo instead, you will be glad you did.

Kt

o

I pretty much have incredible luck with plants EXCEPT for lucky bamboo and jade plants! I can keep them hanging on for about a year but sooner or later....

o

Dandelions are pretty easy to grow and care for...

o

• Posted by Thuja USDA z4 WI, US (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 4, 05 at 9:05

Last fall, I left mine outside and it froze. The entire thing died and turned to mush except for a small part at its base. It was slow but has grown back. It's planted in soil.

I'm actually going to try growing dandelions indoors for a Russian Tortoise this winter. Problem is dandelion has a long taproot and needs a fair amount of sun.

o

I have one thats been in my sunroom for 3 years. It began yellowing... but not to the extent of your situation. I slowly added soil to the water...over about a weeks time untill my planter was a soggy soil mix...seems to add life span to the plant. I read a few articles that say the life span isnt very long and anything over 2 years is exceptional.
Might wanna try a little soil in the mix. I see they sell liguid nutrients for lucky bamboo too. Never tried it though.
Best of luck.
CJ

o

I read somewhere, that someone built a chair out of lucky bamboo. It was left out in the rain, and after a few days, the chair started to grow.

Kt

o

So,Feedmymonkey, in other words, Lucky bamboo is not a bamboo.
Just like a Rose of Sharon nor a Confederate Rose are not roses.

o

There's an Asian Gardening Forum now. :) And CountryNest is right. Lucky bamboo isn't a true bamboo at all.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 22, 05 at 20:22

Oh no! Lucky bamboo has returned from the dead...

o

• Posted by Thuja zone 4b WI, US (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 22, 05 at 21:27

Just when you thought it was dead, a rhizome appears... from out of no where, equipped with air channels, it survives even drowning...

o

• Posted by ROB_E SA TX 8b (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 23, 05 at 12:18

For luck, i grow hibanobambusa tranquillans shiroshima,
oh! and 4 leaf clovers.

o

you will be lucky if it dies!!
then you will have an excuse to get real bamboo.

o

The Yellow leafs can be Lack of nutrients
Giving the plant Nitrogen Fertilizer will bring out dark green color in plants. Give half or less the amount recommended on the package.

Tip: You can add nutrients to water by adding air to the water. Place the water in the blender or shake up the water in a clean jug or cup.

o

My Lucky Bamboo's stalk is really yellow, and has a scrape on the stalk, it looks infected I'm not sure how to fix it? Please help. i love this bamboo.

o

Wrong Forum.

You want the "Lucky" Bamboo forum.

o

Lucky Bamboo, not a real bamboo, grows best in soil, not water. If you plant the thing in good soil, it will take off and spread. I planted one in the ground in florida about 8 years ago and it now has about 40+ new stems and is about 3' tall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here