Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parismountainoldtime

Transplanting 35ft+ tall bamboo

Well I have become an expert in transplanting bamboo versus all the bunk I have read on the subject. I picked a cold, 50 degree day with light mist here in the upstate of S.C in Mid October 2009.

Don't know the variety of running bamboo but it is the taller variety of the two main ones here in the upstate that have been around since early 20th century.

I already had a grove thirty plus shoots that had been one transplant 8ft. 14 years ago with the largest being 23+ feet high and 2 inch diameter.

I went back to the original grove with a twenty six foot box truck and three people with plastic handle shovels and an axe.

We would jump on our shovels driving them through the spongy like root system till we hit a rhizome. As soon as we felt we would have them located and cut we tilted the bamboo right out of the ground.

Lifting these giants was accomplished by one person lifting the rootball and another guiding the leaf end.

As mangeled up as they were I can't believe how well they have survived.

35+ feet tall and 3-5 inches in diamater! We completed the project in one and a half days.

Comments (15)

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

Is it Moso bamboo?

I'd like to see a pic of the grove and/or your division-transplants.

Do you hire out?:)

Kt

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Nothing wrong with the time of year you picked. I just wish I ran into spongy soil with my transplants!

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

Kudzu, do you have a lot of rocks in areas that you dig transplants?

Rocks are my biggest obstacles. Tree roots and heavy clay are also problems, but I've learned to work with them, and the clay is actually great for keeping the rootball together during transplanting.

Kt

• parismountainoldtime
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is not Moso. Wish I could identify it. How do you attach an image to a Follow-Up?

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

You can post a photo if you have it on an online website such as Photobucket.com, or you can upload it directly from your computer and post it in the Bamboo Gallery.

Can't imagine what kind of bamboo it would be. Maybe Madake, Vivax, or even Henon.

Kt

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

kentuck-
    I live in the Pacific NW in an area with lots of glacial till. Whenever I get more than about 4" deep, I hit hardpan with clay and rocks. It's hard enough to dig a deep hole...digging bamboo out of this stuff is worse. It makes for a good workout, though, and I agree that I don't usually have a problem with my rootballs falling apart.

• parismountainoldtime
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks I posted it on the Gallery under "name that plant". I don't see it yet though. I do know it's not Grey Henon.

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

Kudzu, I don't envy your 'workouts' going through all that hard digging, but I'm sure it's worth it for a desired clump of bamboo.

At worst, I run into some flint rocks and often some sandstone, but I usually move to another part of the grove and find that digging is easier...it's just finding the right spot.

I use an axe where I can, especially with large clumpers where the rhizomes are close to the surface. I have a cutting tool that works fine for deeper rhizomes. It's like a sharp-shooter shovel, but much thicker and heavier steel, has a sharp edge that cuts right through the roots and rhizomes...as long as no rocks interfere.

Parismountainoldtime...I don't see the post anywhere.

Kt

• parismountainoldtime
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I have placed another photo of my bamboo under name that plant photo gallery. The last time I did and uploaded it said sucessful but no photo. Maybe it will be there and someone can identify thanks

• parismountainoldtime
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are now on the name that plant photo gallery. Any help with identification would be great

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

I don't see your post any where.

• parismountainoldtime
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kentuck 8b go to Garden Galleries then click on name that plant and they are at the top of the current group of pic's

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

I can't tell from the pics, but do the culms have sulcus'?

Might be Vivax or Madake judging from those pictures.

It looks very nice. I would like to know what it is also. I'll keep trying to ID it. Any more pics?

Kt

• parismountainoldtime
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kt it does have Sulcus....I will get more pics...what area should I concentrate on for best chance of identification?

PMO

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

A pic of the leaves with something to compare it to, or give exact leaf size measurements.

A newly emerging shoot would be very helpful but it's the wrong time of the year.

The more pics, the better chance of an ID.

Kt

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County