Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener1_gw

Please Help ID?

gardener1
11 years ago

I am really hoping that this one is P. Vivax one because the canes are thin walled and 2 in never puts out many canes each year. maybe 4-5 each year. plus the branches stick straight out from the culms and they are very straight canes. Not sizing up very fast though.

Comments (11)

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

Do you have a photo?

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry I thought I posted it.

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

From the appearance it could be any one of at least a dozen different Phyllostachys. However, if it is pretty thin-walled, large diameter, and straight culmed, vivax is a good guess.

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank You Kudzu9 I have a few of these that are like that. When I got this grove it was from a grove of mixed bamboo that originally came from the Cincinnati Zoo the owner had no I dea he even had different species. I soon realized I had about 4-5 different species in there. Man was I happy, and he gave me all of it for free. I just had to dig it out for him. I ended up getting about 50-60 clumps out of it.

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

gardener1-
    Thanks for the additional info. As I saw your various posts I started wondering whether you inherited a bunch of unknown bamboo, or were contemplating stealing some good ones! It looks like you really lucked out. Have fun...

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I definetly lucked out several of my bamboo originally came from the zoo and they were from different people 3 different people and about 10 different kinds of bamboo. I've never stolen any of it although sometimes it feels like a steal. I actually remove it for people for free and get many different species this way. It's amazing how many people are growing rare bamboo and dont even know it. Since I got my first one I've never heard of the zoo selling bamboo but all these people say thats where they got it. One lady actually worked there and thats where I got my P. Japonica and Hibanobambusa Tranquillins Shiroshima.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

are you willing to part with a few culms of any of those good ones gardner1? I think we arnt to far away from each other and you have a better selection than Ive seen anywhere..like a bamboo Natorps LOL. If you are let me know and we can exchange emails.

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

miketropic I think we could probably work something out. Although I do work a second shift job from 2pm to 10pm.Do you have any bamboo to trade?If you click on(My page)you can see my email or just go a couple of replies up. Send me your phone number and we can talk.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

got that email I will get with you asap

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike got your email sent you a reply I'm available most weekends give me a call.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I like that black culm look and its hardy around here. are there any giant timber bamboos or the type with the blue look to the culm that will stay out in our winters