Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy bamboo?

Posted by jersey325 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 22:14

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you had suggestions on where to purchase bamboo. Does anyone have mail-order places that they recommend? I looked around a little bit online, but everywhere I found was in California, and I'm in New Jersey. I have 8 containers that I want to plant bamboo in, but I don't want to go broke in the process.. I think I'm going to need either yellow groove or golden bamboo, since I'm in zone 6. Any info is greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy bamboo?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 8, 08 at 13:25

Bamboo can be expensive. A standard 5 gallon pot will cost you anywhere from $40 on up depending on species; much smaller plants (say, 1 gallon) are likely to cost you at least $20. There are bamboo dealers in New Jersey (see link below), but it might be better if you knew where someone had a grove that needed taming and you could dig some for free (how to do it is a story for another post).
When you click on the link, scroll down to see the listings by state, then note the names and scroll back up to get more details.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABS suppliers

o

I've bought several plants from Florida Bamboo and just placed another order last week.

The prices and selection can't be beat and I've been pleased with every plant ( 5 so far ) I've received from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida bamboo

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 8, 08 at 20:53

Remember, however, that the bamboo sold by Florida Bamboo are great for a Southern climate but aren't cold hardy enough to survive a NJ winter...

o

I have found black bamboo and golden bamboo at local nurseries or garden centers in Virginia. They seem to be reasonably priced especially considering the shipping charges for large sized pots. I have found 7 feet tall 5 gallon containers of black bamboo for 50 dollars. The selection is not as great as specialty nurseries but the varieties you are looking for are pretty commonly grown. You can always call around locally.

o

After ordering some bamboo, I found a great place online, it's bambooplantation bamboo and they sell cold hardy bamboo for a great price! Best mail order prices I've seen, and they give you nice looking plants. They aren't too bad on shipping prices either. So far I've ordered 2 boos from them and they sent great looking plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: bamboo plantation website

o

www.lewisbamboo.com the nicest people Gayle and Roger and their son and their daughter in law. Have purchased from them for seven years. Honest, kind, friendly people and healthy plants too.

Good Luck.

o

I am in NJ and bought bamboo from Little Acre farm in-state. Very nice folks. I drove down from Bergen County and picked a few that would fit under the cap on the pickup. Some Ph. Nigra and some Ph. Aureocaulis. Planted in front of my porch. They have some very nice, small, fields of various Bamboo species so you can get an idea of what it looks like once established.

I also ordered some from Bamboo Sourcery and received some very nice bamboo that so far has done very well in large wheeled pots on my back deck. Ph. Nigra Hale, Q. Tumidissinoda, B. Multiplex, B. Ventricosa, Ch. Marmorea, Ch. Quadrangularis.

All are doing well so far, all shooted at least one time, though the Multiplex I think does not like the climate here and may not make it over-winter.

I chose 3-day shipping and it worked out well.

I plan to over-winter them in the house, in two sunny windows. I will move my room humidifiers right next to them. if they do not make it, it will be my fault not Bamboo Sourcery's.

o

I ordered my first Bamboo from Tradewinds Bamboo at www.bamboodirect.com. Gib Cooper is very knowledgeable and helpfull. Their prices are very reasonable.

tomwright, I am also in Bergen County and overwintered my B. Oldhammi in my garage last winter without any problems.

o

I've gotten a couple of dead or on the verge of death bamboos from bamboo plantation and they ignore calls after being aware of this.

Do not buy from bamboo plantation unless you want some dead plants.

o

why waste money ordering from these places? order from ebay! we do and its always been prefect and one seller on ebay that sells roots will replace them for growth failure. i havent found any other places that does that. we buy from bamboo from ebay and save money .

o

Unless you're purchasing from a reputable grower, there's no guarantee that the plant you get is what you want. If you just want "some bamboo" and don't care about the exact species or form, then eBay can be fine. If however you're looking for a certain species, I'd steer clear of eBay bamboo (unless from a reputable grower who happens to sell on eBay).

o

Like to buy Moso, Vivax, black, and a few others in Arkansas or nearby, bigger field dug I can haul in truck. Just like to stay clear of big city's.
Traded for more land, can't sell it, so I'll plant bamboo on it. bobs_bamboo@yahoo.com

o

I hear this place is good ;-)

www.boocrazy.com

$25 for 5 gallon size bamboos of many of the common species, and $15 to ship up to two plants anywhere in the lower 48 states is pretty much unheard of. good rating on daves garden too.

o

Lucky to be in AZ, Home Depot and Lowes have each been carrying 5-6 varieties for last few months. Got some wonderful Giant Timber for 29 bucks, its growing like crazy. Bought most every type of clumping variety they had.

o

Looking for Bamboo to plant in AZ. What is the best kind? Anyonw know the best place to get some?

o

You don't say where you live in Arizona and what your year around weather is like so it's hard to advise you. Arizona can be too brutal for many bamboo, so it would be best for you to get something you can see already growing there. Look locally at nurseries, or ask people growing large groves if you could dig up some.

P.S.: It's always best to start your own, specific thread rather than piggybacking on someone else's.

o

If you do buy from local nurseries, be sure you know where the plants were grown. Since yours are going to be potted, you do have more control. Bamboo Garden has lots of information--shame on me for using it to buy on eBay to save $$.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here