Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cootie_gw

How far down can I cut down my bamboo?

cootie
15 years ago

At the request of a cement contrator I need to cut down mature bamboo (10' - 20' tall) in order for them to have working room to raise the patio so my Mom has wheelchair access through the patio sliding doors. Can you please advise if I can cut them down completely and will they grow back? I really love the privacy screening they provide.

BTW We live in Arizona zone 7/8.

Thanks

Comments (3)

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

Whatever you cut back will not re-grow above the cutpoint. Presuming the contractor doesn't destroy the root system in building up the patio, the plant should send up new shoots/culms next year. However, it will be several years before it gets back to its present state.

• cootie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!!!! I'me new to the forum and am thrilled to have an immediate answer. I'm gonna be real regular. We just purchased the property and it has 120 trees. I'm gonna be real busy both gardening and reading the forum. Guess I'll buy Mom sunblock and sunglasses.

Thanks

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

cootie-
    A question. Will the contractor be rolling back and forth over the bamboo, or is he just concerned about lowering the clearance. The reason I ask is that, if you don't have to cut the culms all the way to the ground and can leave some stubs with leaf mass, then the bamboo will be able to regenerate faster. On the other hand, If it were me, I'd be digging up rootballs and heeling them over in a pile of topsoil, and then replanting them after the contractor was done. But, digging up divisions of mature bamboo (and not killing them in the process) is hard work unless you have someone who is experienced in doing this. Unfortunately, you're about 1000 miles away so I can't be much help there!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County