Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hello_c_j_here

tortoise shell bamboo......phyllostachys aurea

hello_c_j_here
18 years ago

Is this the Tortoise?

{{gwi:399906}}

Very interesting mutations... does anyone have this variety?

Take care all,

CJ

Comments (10)

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

Geewhiz....where the heck is that? If it's yours C.J.-I'll give you about 1/2dozen bamboos for a piece of that...

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

I grow P. aurea here, and it grows wild all around the area. I've counted over a hundred groves. The lower nodes don't look quite like your photo, but I have seen photos that do. I will post a photo of a typical culm, in the gallery, of the compressed nodes that grow on the aurea here. What you have is probably another variety of aurea than what grows here.

Kt

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

looks like heterocycla too me.You better dig some up and send it to me for further evaluation.There must be no wait.
    I have to see the patient[er, bamboo] immediately.

Dr.Bambooman

• rogertse
    18 years ago

Hello CJ-
    I ordered a tortoise shell bamboo from Bamboobuddy in Ebay, it came with two bared culms no foliage at all, but the two culms are both over 1/2" in diameter, and starting to form the nodes like the bamboos from your picture... and you can order a 5G size from him for $39 free shipping, I also bought a 2G Ph Aurea from Jim at Bambooplantation.com for $14.99, and the Aurea came with four 1/4" size culms but about 8 feet tall with HUGE rootball ... and one of the culm which was topped and the shape just like the way in your picture...

Tortoise shell bamboo is the cheapest Phyllostachys in all bamboo nurseries, because they spread very fast and easy to get, I should able to have some new extra Ph Aurea come next spring, and if you want I can trade you for your baby budda bamboo :)

Hope this helps

Roger

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

Roger-
    A point of clarification...although Bamboobuddy calls his Ph. aurea "Tortoise shell bamboo," that's a misnomer. The real Tortoise shell is Ph. heterocycla, which is an unstable mutation of Ph. heterocycla f. pubescens. Although the distorted lower nodes of some Ph. aurea bear a resemblance to Tortoise shell bamboo, the two are noticeably different in appearance. True Tortoise shell is rare in this country and very expensive. The last specimen of Tortoise shell that was brought into the U.S. several years ago reportedly went for $7000. I've seen this plant and it's not in good health. It has the characteristic distorted nodes, but is only about 7' high and has very little foliage left.

• hello_c_j_here
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No, this isnt mine... YET! :-D But I'm working on it. Roger, you have pics of what you received from the Ebay seller?

Sorry Dr. Bambooman ;-)
    But if I can get some I'll be glad to share once its established.

Gene... you get first division buddy!! Thanks for the plants too. Still havent answered my email either.
    Take care all.
    CJ

• meat
    18 years ago

yeah I just purchased same plant form bamboo buddy on ebay for $24.99 with free shipping.

• hello_c_j_here
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I saw those same offers... that was/is for a #1 size plant right?

I may be able to escavate as large a chunk as I can manage. Suggestions on getting the best possible selection would be great.

Let me know how to best do this... The larger I get ... the sooner I can share...right?
    Thanks all
    CJ

• copalski_gmail_com
    15 years ago

Hi CJ, i would love to have a start of the bamboo you pictured and would be happy to re-imburse you for your time and trouble. please e-mail or call me at 360 317 4236 thanks kent.

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

bambookent-
    Many people would like to get that bamboo. However, what I wrote above in my earlier posting is still true. It's basically not available in this country. Ph. aurea, which is a very common, available bamboo, occasionally has some node distortion that makes some of the culms look a little like this, but it's hit or miss. Ph. aurea is a nice bamboo. Just don't be disappointed when your plant doesn't look like the photo above. This link will show you what to expect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ph. aurea

Sponsored