Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bowyorang

interested in bamboo....

bowyorang
17 years ago

Hi everyone!

I am starting to do a little research on bamboo. I think that it is a very interesting plant, both in looks and characteristics. I started thinking about it a little while back after watching a show where there was some person in Scotland (I believe) that was showing his bamboo garden, and all the different types and varieties. I had always thought, and was told that it was a very unmanageable weed like plant and that I should not grow it. However, after seeing the show in which he had a beautiful garden, and many different varieties, I thought it might be something that we would enjoy.

I guess one of my major questions is exactly how hard is it to manage? I figure that there is different species with different growth rates and manageability, but overall, what should I expect? I don't know if this would matter, but I have about 1.5 acres that I have to play with and would like to have clumping and would like to have some that would make a privacy line about 75yrds. long. I keep all this mowed, all year long. Which leads to my next question.

Would I be able to manage the majority of it with a mower? I of course have no previous experience with bamboo, but couldn't you just mow any little sprouts down that start to grow in an unwanted place?

Last question, for now, where would a person start to learn about, and purchase different species of bamboo.

Any suggestion and help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

p.s. I live in zone 7

Comments (3)

• sfhellwig
    17 years ago

I personally do not grow bamboo at the moment (still renting) but would love to aquire a few different types to play with. However I have been on this board long enough to learn the important points. Anyone who says bamboo is unmanageable is too lazy to deserve such a wonderful plant. I know those are strong words but there are many people on this board and others that manage many types of bamboo with no problems. Now, that means alot of maintenance. I will let someone with experience address the mowing containment but I know the most successful method is rhizome pruning. Most people that bad mouth bamboo planted it and then didn't try to contain it at which point certain types can overrun your yard and are difficult to remove. Just make sure you are comfortable with your knowledge before you plant and be prepared to put some work into it. It's no worse than any other plant, I almost ended up wih an entire yard full of mint this spring, but a little root pulling kept it restrained to a single bed and that is where it has stayed. Almost every thing I've learned about boo is from this site and the links posted here. Good luck.

• brian_k
    17 years ago

Go for it! Cold hardy clumpers tend to not do well in southern climes, and tropical clumpers would not be happy where you are, except for some of the really hardy ones like Bambusa multiplex maybe. With 1.5 acres you could plant some nice running divisions and not have a whole lot to worry about for a while.

And yes, you can mow the new shoots. Also take a shovel and go around the perimeter of the grove to sever any rhizomes. If you wait long enough you'll have lots of divisions to trade on GW! In your area there are literally hundreds of species that can do well.

One good exercise to get a feel for bamboo would be to look for local groves of bamboo. Especially our native bamboo, Arundinaria gigantea. I found some 2 miles from my house! {{gwi:425628}}{{gwi:425630}}
    If you want a really good list of bamboo to consider go to http://www.bambooweb.info/Plants.php

• growerman
    17 years ago

he is right, I used the same website to find the one I wanted to grow. I picked moso.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor