Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrao77

Difference between Aphonse Karr and B. eutuldoides 'Viridivittata

mrao77
13 years ago

Hi,

Can somebody please guide me with differentialting between Bambusa mutliplex "Alphonse Karr" and B.eutuldoides 'Viridivittata' ?

Is there any difference in thier growth habit, coloration or culm that is evident?

Thank you for your help,

mrao77

Comments (5)

• kentuck_8b
    13 years ago

Size is the most noticeable difference.

Here, Viridivittata gets larger diameter culms than does the Al Karr, but Al Karr is slightly more cold hardy.

Viridivittata does not get the mold at the nodes like Al Karr does. Both grow to about 20 feet here max.

Al Karr puts up many more shoots each season and is a more compact clumper.

Kt

• mrao77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Kentuck! I ordered Viridivittata online, but I believe what was sent to me was Al Karr. The plant even had a tag on it that says "Al karr" but the seller does not agree. He sent a replacement, but still the same plant. He claims that he sent the right one!

I certainly have mold at the nodes. Is there any reference that clarifies this difference?

Thanks

• kentuck_8b
    13 years ago

Click Here

I have noticed that the listed sizes are rarely the size that the plants reach, at least here.

The nursery may have been treating the plants for sooty mold.

I have noticed the mold on the mutiplexes more than other Bambusas.

The website above lists Al Karr as getting larger in diameter, but this isn't true here.

Viridivittata is a prettier plant as compared to Al Karr, at least in my opinion. Another plant that is very similar and beautiful, is B. pervariabilis 'Viridistriatus'.

Kt

• mrao77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Which of these two varieties have variegated leaves?

Thanks
    mrao77

• kentuck_8b
    13 years ago

B. pervariabilis 'Viridistriatus' and B. eutuldoides 'Viridivittata' both have variegated leaves, but it is mostly seasonal. It is more prominent in the Spring with new growth, but some lingers till Fall.

B. mult. 'Silverstripe' has some of the most beautiful variegated leaves but it too, appears mostly on the new Spring growth, then slowly becomes solid green.

Al Karr also has some variegated leaves.

Click the link below. On the left, you will see many different kinds of bamboo names posted by several growers. Then click on the bamboo of your choice for photos.

Bambooweb

Kt

Sponsored