Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlboro33

SCHIZOSTACHYUM brachycladum

marlboro33
18 years ago

Hey all, Does anyone know where I can get some of this SCHIZOSTACHYUM brachycladum yellow form at. Does anyone know where I can get it for a cheap price.

Comments (12)

• cliff98
    18 years ago

Try Tropical Bamboo out of Loxahatchee Florida, but expect paying a hefty price for a 3 gallon.
    Other than those guys, I don't know of any other sellers/retailers.

• richardqld
    18 years ago

Only my opinion,but why would you bother?.Down here in Australia,this plant looks good for a couple of years then starts flowering and looks terrible.I would never pay money for this plant.Having said all that people still buy it.
    It may be different over with you folks though.

• marlboro33
    Original Author
    18 years ago

that's all i need to know thanks.forget it i changed my mind.thanks alot, hope everyone gets the message about this plant

• cliff98
    18 years ago

Richard,
    Do you think the terrible look of it after a few years in SE Queensland is maybe a local thing?
    I ask because when I was in Costa Rica in 2003 I saw a specimen that were unbelievably beautiful. Probably the most beautiful bamboo I have ever seen. Then again the specimen I saw was at a resort-like-place in the middle of the Caribbean lowland rainforest region. Maybe being in that climate makes it appearance different.

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

Mine is still in a pot and put out seeds last year, but none this year. It looks alright for a potted bamboo.

There are several bambusas that have similar looking culms, but they do not have the beautiful huge variegated leaves like the SCHIZOSTACHYUM brachycladum.

Kt

• richardqld
    18 years ago

I dont think it would be a localised problem,however i could be wrong.I personally do not rate any Schizostachyum species highly,If you want a great yellow bamboo,i prefer Bambusa eutuldoides viridi-vittata.This is only my opinion however.

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

Other Bambusas, other than Bambusa eutuldoides viridi-vittata that Richard mentioned above, are Bambusa pervariabilis 'Viridistriatus' and Bambusa vulgaris 'Vittata' PAINTED BAMBOO, all are a bit more cold hardy and all have very similar looking culms, but none have the beautiful extra large variegated leaves as does the SCHIZOSTACHYUM brachycladum.

I personally like the SCHIZOSTACHYUM brachycladum, it is one of my favorites, especially beautiful are the large variegated leaves, but then it is in a pot kept in full shade, and I do not think it would ever survive here outdoors in the ground.

Kt

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

I noticed today that mine is seeding, or blooming. It was too dark to get a good picture, so I will try another day. I don't know if any of the blooms are actually producing any viable seeds. In the past, it never did.

Kt

• theresabackpacker
    17 years ago

Mine has been seeding for a few months now. It really looks awful. Will it improve once it has finished seeding?

• kentuck_8b
    17 years ago

I assume your clump is planted in the ground and large? Mine is still in a pot, but never shows any signs of distress from blooming. It has at least one stem with blooms on it also this year. It may keep blooming for a few years, and blooming is usually a sign that the plant will soon die.

I have heard that as soon as the blooms are visible, if you cut them off, this will put the stored energy back into the plant instead of the blooms, thus sustaining it's life. Might be worth a try, but if you are getting viable seeds, then that may be a gift, if you want to try propagating them, or even selling them. Fertilizing and watering during dryer spells will also help produce much needed energy during seeding which may help save it.

I plan on dividing it next Spring, and trying one division in the ground. It will be interesting to see if it blooms more, less, or completely stops, once put in the ground.

Good Luck

Kt

• nturtle2004_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

If anyone wants to get rid of your s. brachycladum, I will take it. If you have seeds, I'll take those too. I would also like to try a cutting. This bamboo grows better in south Florida. Thanks.

• tropicalbamboo
    15 years ago

This species, like all plants, definately has its preferences as to its growing conditions. I'm always trying to grow many plants that are not suitable for my area. Some work, most don't. I never blame the plant if it fails.
    S.brachycladum can be spectacular in South Florida. If your conditions are tropical, or sub-tropical and humid. If the soil is well draining and you can augment it with organic matter. If your annual rainfall is above average and you can irrigate when it doesn't rain, and fertilize at least quarterly - the species should do well and become a showpiece in your garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: S.brachycladum at Tropical Bamboo Nursery

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH