Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
functional types to plant?

Posted by mimulus z 10/24 SoCal (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 23:45

Hello. I just got my first house and am having a hard time deciding which bamboo to plant. I grow quite a few in pots now and don't have enough room for the hundred or fso I would like. I want to use bamboo culms as much as possible for arbors, fencing, decorative stuff, etc. I am planning on doing a lot of light construction projects. Looking for recommendations of the best for strong, straight poles - as large as possible but also ones for simple trellis', maybe as small as 1-2"?. I am in Inglewood/Los Angeles, CA and we now get some frost here. My Mei Nung and Wamin suffer a bit in the winter in their large tile crates but may be fine once planted.

What I have already: Golden, Black, Alphonse, Buddha Belly, tootsik, Mei Nung, Kimmei, Wamin, D.asper (barely alive), Tonkin, Arrow, (and a few other small ornamentals). And I just bought a small Lako.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: functional types to plant?

Lako may be borderline in your area so keep it protected until it gets some size to it.

I have the same problem with Wamin...it gets freeze burn sometimes here.

Bambusa textilis gets to over 40 feet here, has very straight culms, and is very cold hardy. Culms are over 2 inches in diameter. A great all around bamboo. It looks great all year long and rarely gets cold damage.

How tall does your Kimmei get in your area?

You may want to try Oldhamii also since it is hardier than Wamin, at least after it sizes up some. The culms get over 4 inches thick here and is cold hardier than listed. Very erect growing and over 40 feet in height. Mine froze to the ground each Winter for the first three years, but came back larger each year.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here